Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects signal chain 7 cable method

benbutterworth

How do I set up the HX effects signal chain/fx block/mixer for 7cm? I'm struggling!

What are the mixer and effects loops settings in the HX effects? Stereo? Dual mono?

I'm using two amps, and want to set up so drives go into the front of the amp, and delays/reverbs in the fx loops.

Main problems:
- I don't know how the signal chain should be configured to set up 7 cable method into the fx loops of two amps.

- Because the setup isn't correct, I currently get a lot of noise as both amps are sending the preamp to the other amp! Basically both preamps are blended on each amp.

- How do I ensure delays and other effects are stereo - as in ping-pong delay etc.

What are the mixer and effects loops settings in the HX effects? Stereo? Dual mono?

• 1 month later...

Set up the HX Effects just like in 4CM, but use both Sends and Returns (one for each pre-amp), and connect the HX Effect's main outputs to each amps Return.

If you want to use the pre-amps in parallel, just insert a stereo FX Loop block.

If you want to alternate which pre-amp to use, add two mono S/R blocks, both FX Loop 1 block and FX Loop 2 block. Set one of them on and the other bypassed. Then assign them to same switch. Now you can toggle between the two pre-amps.

For a more complex setup where you want to add separate effects in front of each pre-amp, you should split the signal, add two mono S/R blocks to each path. If you make the split A/B, you'll be able to assign a switch to select which pre-amp is in use. If you make the split Y, and assign an expression pedal to control the A level and B level of the paths, and you'll be able to smoothly mix between the pre-amp outputs. (See Configuring Split Block Options p 31 for more ideas.)

Adding separate send and return blocks gives you even more flexibility, but they also add complexity. The FX Loop blocks are way easier to understand.

This is how I have mine setup.  I also have Path 1 setup for FX Loop 1 and Path 2 setup for FX Loop 2.  If you want to run your effects in stereo, make your Path 1 output PAN LEFT and your Path 2 output PAN RIGHT.  This setup works great for me.  Just remember that any effects before the FX Loops will be processed in mono regardless if you choose stereo effects or not.  No sense wasting the DSP processing power for non-time based effects.  I also assign a stomp button for each effect in both paths.  In other words, If I select my Delay, it will enable/disable that effect in both paths simultaneously.  This should work the same on both the Helix and the HX Effects.  Hope this helps you.

4 Cable Method (4CM)

Cable #1 Guitar to Helix/HX Effects Guitar In

Cable #2 Helix/HX Effects FX Send Loop 1 to Amp #1 Main Input

Cable #3 Amp #1 FX Send Loop to Helix/HX Effects FX Return Loop 1

Cable #4 Helix/HX Effects 1/4" Left (mono) Out to Amp #1 FX Return Loop

7 Cable Method (7CM)

Cable #5 Helix/HX Effects FX Send Loop 2 to Amp #2 Main Input

Cable #6 Amp #2 FX Send Loop to Helix/HX Effects FX Return Loop 2

Cable #7 Helix/HX Effects 1/4" Right Out to Amp #2 FX Return Loop

7CM.png

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 8/19/2018 at 3:30 AM, VirtualGuitars said:

This is how I have mine setup.  I also have Path 1 setup for FX Loop 1 and Path 2 setup for FX Loop 2.  If you want to run your effects in stereo, make your Path 1 output PAN LEFT and your Path 2 output PAN RIGHT.  This setup works great for me.  Just remember that any effects before the FX Loops will be processed in mono regardless if you choose stereo effects or not.  No sense wasting the DSP processing power for non-time based effects.  I also assign a stomp button for each effect in both paths.  In other words, If I select my Delay, it will enable/disable that effect in both paths simultaneously.  This should work the same on both the Helix and the HX Effects.  Hope this helps you.

4 Cable Method (4CM)

Cable #1 Guitar to Helix/HX Effects Guitar In

Cable #2 Helix/HX Effects FX Send Loop 1 to Amp #1 Main Input

Cable #3 Amp #1 FX Send Loop to Helix/HX Effects FX Return Loop 1

Cable #4 Helix/HX Effects 1/4" Left (mono) Out to Amp #1 FX Return Loop

7 Cable Method (7CM)

Cable #5 Helix/HX Effects FX Send Loop 2 to Amp #2 Main Input

Cable #6 Amp #2 FX Send Loop to Helix/HX Effects FX Return Loop 2

Cable #7 Helix/HX Effects 1/4" Right Out to Amp #2 FX Return Loop

7CM.png

Hi 

I know this is an old thread but anyways you could share your template for the 7cable method.

• 4 years later...
On 8/18/2018 at 9:17 AM, Teemi said:

Set up the HX Effects just like in 4CM, but use both Sends and Returns (one for each pre-amp), and connect the HX Effect's main outputs to each amps Return.

If you want to use the pre-amps in parallel, just insert a stereo FX Loop block.

If you want to alternate which pre-amp to use, add two mono S/R blocks, both FX Loop 1 block and FX Loop 2 block. Set one of them on and the other bypassed. Then assign them to same switch. Now you can toggle between the two pre-amps.

For a more complex setup where you want to add separate effects in front of each pre-amp, you should split the signal, add two mono S/R blocks to each path. If you make the split A/B, you'll be able to assign a switch to select which pre-amp is in use. If you make the split Y, and assign an expression pedal to control the A level and B level of the paths, and you'll be able to smoothly mix between the pre-amp outputs. (See Configuring Split Block Options p 31 for more ideas.)

Adding separate send and return blocks gives you even more flexibility, but they also add complexity. The FX Loop blocks are way easier to understand.

Why doesn’t this work? I get bleeding between the amps.