Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Does anyone else miss the 'save' button?

MarkJarvis

The point of an ICON is that it's an OBVIOUS representation of something. A new user would NOT recognize that icon as representing the function SAVE. That particular icon usually means DOWNLOAD, not SAVE. Best practices in GUI design (at least as I learned it) has always been to use pop-up Tool Tips with icons.

EDIT - NBD, just pointing out a possible reason for OP's confusion.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MarkJarvis said:

For an Uber Guru Phil not exactly impressed

I wasn't even trying to be particularly snarky (for once!). I read your first post as saying the Save button was completely missing, and I was just pointing out that it was still there. Not sure I understand why having the actual text on it matters that much as long you know what the button does.

Yeah i agree, but as its been pointed out the icon button isn't exactly obvious and also its been a SAVE dialog forever and now

oh we need to remove that 'save text'for something less obvious...how about a dimm box with no dialog? great idea

But sure, eventually even dummies like me figure out thats the 'new and improved' save option.

I just thought maybe its some hidden preference...and yeah I miss the 'save' dialog..as it was obvious a change was made..now its not so obvious..

• Upvote 1

Save in Helix Native seems more confusing. You have the choice to save to disk or library, that's fine, but there are some issues. When you select Library, a dialog pops up with the list of patches in a set. That would be ok, but seems redundant with the library view that's already displayed on the left. But the odd thing is that the current patch isn't selected by default. You can press the save button, but its not clear where the patch is saved. You have to actually select the patch you want to save, regardless of what is currently loaded. 

It would seem easier to have a simple Library > Save which saves to the currently loaded patch, and Library > Save As... to store someplace else.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, amsdenj said:

Save in Helix Native seems more confusing. You have the choice to save to disk or library, that's fine, but there are some issues. When you select Library, a dialog pops up with the list of patches in a set. That would be ok, but seems redundant with the library view that's already displayed on the left. But the odd thing is that the current patch isn't selected by default. You can press the save button, but its not clear where the patch is saved. You have to actually select the patch you want to save, regardless of what is currently loaded. 

It would seem easier to have a simple Library > Save which saves to the currently loaded patch, and Library > Save As... to store someplace else.

As a new user to Native, I agree on this.  Would also be nice to have a basic save option that saves the preset to the PC and the Library as you currently have to save it twice for that.  

1 hour ago, jbuhajla said:

Maybe Line 6 can use the depiction of a 3.5" floppy disk as the save icon like Microsoft still does. 

ICONic, for those of us old enough to remember what a floppy disk was....what icon would you use for an SSD?.....I'm thinking that MS is waiting to change that until they get EVERYTHING into the cloud....

3 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

ICONic, for those of us old enough to remember what a floppy disk was....what icon would you use for an SSD?.....I'm thinking that MS is waiting to change that until they get EVERYTHING into the cloud....

The cloud is computer company speak for, "We don't glean enough info about you the way it is. We want access to everything you save on your hard drive." Although I'm sure no one will actually ever betray that trust.  :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

On 7/5/2018 at 11:16 PM, JerryWawak said:

Had I not already known that was where the save button used to be, I would not have known the current button was the save button.   I agree with the OP.  

Yep. Same here..

21 hours ago, brue58ski said:

The cloud is computer company speak for, "We don't glean enough info about you the way it is. We want access to everything you save on your hard drive." Although I'm sure no one will actually ever betray that trust.  :rolleyes:

Cloud computing is about centralizing the administration and maintenance of hardware and software resources to provide efficient, effective computing services. Its about having a shared utility rather than a bunch of individual computation "generators".

Harvesting and exploiting information is an unfortunate outcome of our connected world. Cloud computing doesn't really make that worse, just more efficient. Since we know this is happening, we need to take more responsibility for managing and securing our own information, and for assessing the quality and validity of the information sources we consume. This is part of what has motivated me to stop using Facebook. Its a way of controlling what information I give out, and an expression of concern about what Facebook has been doing with our information.

21 minutes ago, amsdenj said:

Cloud computing is about centralizing the administration and maintenance of hardware and software resources to provide efficient, effective computing services. Its about having a shared utility rather than a bunch of individual computation "generators".

Harvesting and exploiting information is an unfortunate outcome of our connected world. Cloud computing doesn't really make that worse, just more efficient. Since we know this is happening, we need to take more responsibility for managing and securing our own information, and for assessing the quality and validity of the information sources we consume. This is part of what has motivated me to stop using Facebook. Its a way of controlling what information I give out, and an expression of concern about what Facebook has been doing with our information.

Simple, obvious, and effective solution that works now. But at some point, it seems these sorts of actions won't be possible anymore because a person's control of information they both send and receive will decrease, in addition to a decrease in the possibility of maintaining a level of disconnection from the digital world. So societies will adapt and accept the exploitation of their most personal of information, unfortunately.

Since I (humorously)  introduced the "cloud" to this totally unrelated subject, allow me to interject that hitting the SAVE button and sending your Helix preset to a storage device in "the cloud" will not likely subject you to either identity theft or CIA scrutiny.

Although, I suppose if you're in the habit of naming your presets after famous assassins or jihadists.....wait, is that a black helicopter hovering silently outside my window.....and me fresh out of tin foil.....

Actually I have a legitimate (minor) annoyance with the new save button in the editor. Previously there was a "save to" function where one could save an edited patch to another location. Can it still be done on the editor now? It still can be done on the floor unit though.

Background info: I use it quite a lot for when messing with a preset, finding a good sound, then saving to some other preset slot to do A/B comparison with the original

46 minutes ago, Meiannatee said:

Actually I have a legitimate (minor) annoyance with the new save button in the editor. Previously there was a "save to" function where one could save an edited patch to another location. Can it still be done on the editor now? It still can be done on the floor unit though.

Background info: I use it quite a lot for when messing with a preset, finding a good sound, then saving to some other preset slot to do A/B comparison with the original

There’s never been a “Save To” button in HX Edit... A number of people have been asking for it, though.