Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is Helix all digital?

DirtFarmer

For whatever reason I thought that some of the effects had actual analog circuits built into the Helix, thought it was mostly for some of the distortions/od's.  But I can't find any info to support that claim.

So is it all digital?  I don't care either way, I love my helix.  I just want to know for a discussion I am part of.

I suppose if you want some anologue you could run something like the Laney Pulse IRT in one of the loops. It is no hamster or ferret(which ends up stealing anything shiny(never trusted that model)) but you know. 

5 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

Rumor has it that the 2.7 firmware will include a squirrel upgrade...get your acorns now before the price spikes. 

As long as that new squirrel has a tuner... Otherwise, I'll just wait for Helix 2 next Winter Namm ; P.

It just so happens that the Helix is only MOSTLY digital. There's a big difference between mostly digital and all digital. Mostly digital is slightly analog. With all digital, well, with all digital there's usually only one thing you can do...

3 hours ago, phil_m said:

It just so happens that the Helix is only MOSTLY digital. There's a big difference between mostly digital and all digital. Mostly digital is slightly analog. With all digital, well, with all digital there's usually only one thing you can do...

Go through his pockets and look for loose 1's and 0's...;)

you betcha. With regards to the OP's original question, the main analog stuff that matters is the analog input connectors/circuitry, power supply, A/D circuitry, D/A circuitry, and analog output  connectors/circuitry. But ...... the magic where the tone and effects are created is digital. Today's DSP circuitry is getting really good (fast, clean, high resolution) at modeling analog stuff (amps, stomp boxes, etc) — especially in the hands of good software engineers.

3 hours ago, soundog said:

power supply

I'd like to nitpick here: Why the PSU? If anything, I'd call a switching mode power supply digital because of its hard switching characteristic and PWM controlled action.

As for the OPs question: No, there is no analog part involved in the Helix' effects. I'd be reluctant to specifically mention the input/output circuitry: Of course it has to be analog. There's also no such thing as "digital impedance" (aside from just using a cheap high-cut filter), so that part must be analog as well. Though it's of course a noteworthy feature to have it switchable in the Helix.