Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Maybe a new idea for the Helix?

bryanhonof

Hello!

So I've been using the line 6 helix rack + control for about 2 years now.

And I just had this spark of an idea that maybe is retarded but I taught I'd still share the idea I had. ^.^

So I know analog guitar pedal, amps, power amps, etc. will sounds a tiny little bit different every time you use them. Depending on the components used in the pedal, the temperature, the humidity and so on.

Even tho this is only a very slight change I think it'd be cool to have an option on the helix to emulate that effect.

I think this should be a global option that effects everything in the chain.

I think it could be programmed in the way of having the user define inputs change a little bit depending on a pseudo random number every time the helix boots and the options has been set active.

Or maybe even with the tube amps depending on how long the amp has been active the "tubes" will warm up thus changing the sound in the slightest.

Sorry again if this is a stupid idea, but I taught I'd share it ^.^

- Bryan Honof

Well there's no way to quantify it, so it's impossible to prove one way or the other...but as far as I'm concerned, most subtle differences in tone that one perceives from one day to the next (no matter what kind of gear you're using)  are exactly that...perception. Hearing is imperfect, and how we interpret sound can be influenced by any one of a thousand things, from the mood you're in, to how much sleep you got last night. I used analog gear for a million years...the way it behaves on Wednesday is pretty much the same as it behaved on Tuesday. If it sounds different, it's in your head. 

Regardless, you couldn't pay me to use such a "feature" if they added it to Helix. I don't want "wandering tone". Half the point of having gear like this is consistency. I want my patches to sound the same when I call them up....that's why I hit "save". 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

It has long be my opinion that one of the most important considerations when debating guitar tones is the ROOM.

This changes from gig to gig, rehearsal to rehearsal, bedroom to bedroom etc...

That's all the (unwanted) variation I need to deal with!

Interesting idea though.

• Upvote 2

A plugin company called Brainworx models in digital "variance" in their mixing console plug-ins. Since no two channels of a studio mixing console or the same because of analog component variations, the software designer modeled all of the differences to give you the channel-to-channel variations of real hardware. Not two channels are identical. To my ears, it sounds "richer" than when all the digital channels are identical. But a multi-channel mixing console is a different beast than a single guitar modeler. I agree with @cruiseon that I want my Helix presets to sound the same every time I fire them up.

Some of the 'variation' we experience is also related to the state of one's physical well-being. For example, things sound different when you're tired versus when you're rested.

While the proposed concept is 'interesting', frankly, I don't want random preset instability. I need to know that my presets are consistent. Otherwise, I'll be wasting time trying to correct something that's being system-generated. 

I don't need the Helix to manage my IEM mix, generate a click track, or a host of other "gee whiz, it would be nice if the Helix would make me toast" requested features. I want the Helix to do what seems to do very well, which is provide me with tools to shape the sound of my guitars to serve the needs of respective songs. :)

3 hours ago, mikeolivercgp said:

While the proposed concept is 'interesting', frankly, I don't want random preset instability. I need to know that my presets are consistent. Otherwise, I'll be wasting time trying to correct something that's being system-generated. 

Amen. And just when you get it dialed in...again...it'll change on you. Again.

Might work well as a torture device ;), but I've got gigs, and I don't need gear that's specifically designed to provide me with Spinal Tap moments...there are already plenty of other sources for that, lol. I'll pass. ;)

5 hours ago, soundog said:

A plugin company called Brainworx models in digital "variance" in their mixing console plug-ins. Since no two channels of a studio mixing console or the same because of analog component variations, the software designer modeled all of the differences to give you the channel-to-channel variations of real hardware. Not two channels are identical. To my ears, it sounds "richer" than when all the digital channels are identical. But a multi-channel mixing console is a different beast than a single guitar modeler. I agree with @cruiseon that I want my Helix presets to sound the same every time I fire them up.

Hi soundog,

Good to see that you agree with “cruisinon2”, just like me. 

I don’t want my sounds drifting around when I spent a long while getting to what I think is fine, or even, just good enough.

That poor sad software engineer @ Brainworx must be regretting taking on the challenge of modelling “digital variance”. Imagine going to work in the morning and everything you had perfected the previous day was screwed, not even close to how you left it! Now that really is a thankless task, where does it ever end? I hope the pay is worth it, in fact that has got be job for life!

Although, I have to say the name we use for our studio crew  is “A Constant State of Flux”, basically because nobody knows where we are at.

...just to clarify on the Brainworx mixing console plugins, the channel variances are considered to be a valuable feature for this sort of modeling: on a real analog mixing console one specific channel might sound better for vocals, one might sound better for a snare drum, etc. Also for the software, after you get your mix channels set up how you like them, then you can lock them all down so they are always the same on a particular song or mix. The software gets rave reviews by users largely because of this variance feature. 

• Thanks 1

I also agree with cruisinon2.  I spend too much time now getting my sounds the way I want them.  I don't need to add another item that will make it more difficult and time consuming to get  a great tone.

12 minutes ago, RD1967 said:

I also agree with cruisinon2.  I spend too much time now getting my sounds the way I want them.  I don't need to add another item that will make it more difficult and time consuming to get  a great tone.

Yeah... built-in variability that randomly engages to make things $hittier, is not my idea of a "useable feature"...It's the kind of thing that you'd do as a practical joke to drive an already nutty, tone obsessed guitar player even crazier than their normal baseline. ;)

"It was fine five minutes ago! Why does it sound like baked a$$ now?!?!??!?!"

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cruisinon2 said:

Yeah... built-in variability that randomly engages to make things $hittier, is not my idea of a "useable feature"...It's the kind of thing that you'd do as a practical joke to drive an already nutty, tone obsessed guitar player even crazier than their normal baseline. ;)

"It was fine five minutes ago! Why does it sound like baked a$$ now?!?!??!?!"

That's hilarious!