Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Patch help for use with tube poweramp and cab (live)

jdroost

Hello all.

Having a hard time getting a good basic amp sound through my mesa 2:90 and 2X12 cab (WGS et65).

Been tweaking for days but can't come close to the cabsim through monitor tone this thing has.

If somebody can direct me to some starter patches that work well with this way of running the Helix

I would appreciate it.

Just a simple amp (or preamp) and maybe some verb to the 1/4 outs.

Can't swing a power cab...so I need to make this work.

Thanks for any input/help.

Not sure how to help without lots more details, but - I can't get a sound through a PA that comes close to the sound of Helix thru 2:90 into 1x12 Bogner cubes.  Probably for both of us, EQ is needed on one unit or the other.

On 7/10/2018 at 10:21 PM, jdroost said:

Hello all.

Having a hard time getting a good basic amp sound through my mesa 2:90 and 2X12 cab (WGS et65).

Been tweaking for days but can't come close to the cabsim through monitor tone this thing has.

If somebody can direct me to some starter patches that work well with this way of running the Helix

I would appreciate it.

Just a simple amp (or preamp) and maybe some verb to the 1/4 outs.

Can't swing a power cab...so I need to make this work.

Thanks for any input/help.

Half (if not more) of your tone comes from the speakers you're monitoring through. That being the case, trying to use patches that worked for someone else, with whatever gear they used to dial it in, is probably gonna set you back even farther... especially with the setup you're using. If you were running some sort of FRFR rig, and used a patch that was created with other FRFR speakers, you'd have half a chance of getting similar results, as you could *assume* that your speaker's frequency response would at least be close, but even then it's a crapshoot.

As MikeDV1 said above,  EQ will be the answer... but it's gonna depend entirely on what amp models you're using, and the kind of sound you're after.  Anything that someone else were to suggest would be a blind guess. At this point, I doubt I have a single patch that doesn't have an EQ block... and they're all slightly different depending on the amp/cab/mic models in question. 

The experimental phase sucks... but there's really no escaping it. Don't shy away from using a cab sim in the chain... even though you're using an actual amp and cab, and shouldn't technically need it,  sometimes it works. There are no "rules" with this stuff.