Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Slightly dark or muffled at times?

Jagman13

Added to this thread on the other Helix forum and wondered if others in here had perhaps found the same... or as some have suggested you have needed to turn the brightness down or when added to a mix it just slots in.. (with a bit of tweaking) ... 

Just seems at times the same patch can sound different on different days... ?? 

HXN never sounds muffled to me .... if anything I need to roll off the highs and lows. In a mix, guitar tracks usually need some EQ anyway. I get my Helix tracks sounding rich and full when soloed, then later EQ them as needed with a dedicated EQ plugin; after I've committed the "Helixed" guitar track(s). Sometimes I also keep the raw guitar track so I can tweak the Helix tone later if needed, but I usually try to avoid that so I don't get stuck in a tweaking-loop.

Soundog is the king of the Native forum!   When I started 18 months ago, I had the typical fizz questions.  I quickly got beyond that and I don't roll any highs back or use a high cut for my IRs (mostly OHs) and I do add EQ to every preset to "open" the tone up a little.  I seem a bit opposite of most who post!  The amount depends on which guitar I use, what I want in the song, how it sounds in the mix, etc. (nothing you two don't already know).    And I don't play live - I write and record.  It's sooo subjective.  I play with a friend who also posts on the forum and he doesn't use EQ like I do (much less increasing of the 2K area) and his tones are great and he likes mine too and we absorb what each other does and create presets with new approaches that expand our tones.  It'shard to tell what are legit sound problems and user issues (like I initially had).  Thanks for allowing me to post on the Soundog/Jagman forum...

3 hours ago, Jagman13 said:

is it only you and I that post here? ;) I hear you must be my cloth ears then... :(

4 hours ago, soundog said:

HXN never sounds muffled to me .... if anything I need to roll off the highs and lows. In a mix, guitar tracks usually need some EQ anyway. I get my Helix tracks sounding rich and full when soloed, then later EQ them as needed with a dedicated EQ plugin; after I've committed the "Helixed" guitar track(s). Sometimes I also keep the raw guitar track so I can tweak the Helix tone later if needed, but I usually try to avoid that so I don't get stuck in a tweaking-loop.