Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

[SOLVED] Clipping in headphones out

dotpc

I get clipping even at low volumes using the headphones out. I am using Sennheiser HD650 headphones (I also tried Sony MDR-V6 headphones), and even with a relatively clean tone I still get clipping. When I record via USB with the Helix, the level is quite low (never going above -6db) often wavering around -10db or -15db, so I don't think the level of my patch is too high.

Help?

Issue solved.

I think you need to be a bit more specific here to determine if it's in the headphones or Helix.  What level do you have your headphone out volume set at on the Helix?  Have you tried it through studio monitors or some other output?  Is it only when you listen to the recorded track or is it there when you simply play through the headphones?  Does it happen on different patches?  You need to tell us a bit more about what steps you've gone through to troubleshoot it.

50 minutes ago, DunedinDragon said:

I think you need to be a bit more specific here to determine if it's in the headphones or Helix.  What level do you have your headphone out volume set at on the Helix?  Have you tried it through studio monitors or some other output?  Is it only when you listen to the recorded track or is it there when you simply play through the headphones?  Does it happen on different patches?  You need to tell us a bit more about what steps you've gone through to troubleshoot it.

It happens even at 50% headphone output. It also happens through studio monitors. It happens when I play through the headphones. It is probably my patch, but the patch is quite simple.

43 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

Or just try another set of cans and see if the same thing happens... if not, you've got your answer. 

Happens on other headphones I have (as I mentioned in the post) as well as studio monitors.

I have found that if your preset output is set to MULTI and your headphone setting is set on MULTI, the headphone output will be increased because you are getting the signal from multiple outputs going through the headphone out. Try setting your preset output to 1/4" or XLR and your headphone to 1/4 or XLR to see if that decreases the phone output and prevents clipping. 

18 minutes ago, jbuhajla said:

I have found that if your preset output is set to MULTI and your headphone setting is set on MULTI, the headphone output will be increased because you are getting the signal from multiple outputs going through the headphone out. Try setting your preset output to 1/4" or XLR and your headphone to 1/4 or XLR to see if that decreases the phone output and prevents clipping. 

Thank you, I will try that. If anything though, the volume is too quiet. Just clips. It must be how I have my patch dialed in.

Another thing to check is if you have a delay effect in your patch you might want to check the Headroom parameter depending on the type of delay it is.  Simple delays and a few others don't have that parameter, but it's a pretty common place where, if not increased, will cause clipping.

Forgot to ask, is the OP a new Helix user? Sometimes new users think the "fizz, sizzle, or whatever" is "digital clipping" since they are not used to full range modeling systems. If you use a VERY clean tone (not relatively clean) like the JC120 model, do you still get the clipping?

1 hour ago, jbuhajla said:

Forgot to ask, is the OP a new Helix user? Sometimes new users think the "fizz, sizzle, or whatever" is "digital clipping" since they are not used to full range modeling systems. If you use a VERY clean tone (not relatively clean) like the JC120 model, do you still get the clipping?

It is not fizz/sizzle, I have used other modelers before and am familiar with those type of tones. Valid concern though.

Sadly it's very possible to create clipping or clipping-like artifacts within the signal chain - not just on the output - and the Helix gives no indication of where it's happening. I had a clean tone that sounded a bit harsh on the attack, until I realised that the amp block was cranked up too high. I pulled that down, compensated further along the chain, and now it's the same volume but sounds perfect.

• Upvote 1

Bypass all blocks except for amp and cab/IR. See if you still have clipping. If so, try to dial it in so you don't clip. Then turn on other blocks one by one and see if you start clipping at each one of those. Even though your overall level might be low, something like the "master" on your amp model block could be intruducing the sound you are trying to get rid of. 

Try a totally clean amp model to see if it goes away. The JC120 amp/cab model with default settings should have no distortion whatsoever, unless you have some really hot pickups.  

• Upvote 1

So I believe I have solved the issue, thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I checked a few other presets and they seem way louder than my preset. But I think the keyword is seem, since they are far brighter than my preset. I added the LA Studio Comp as a limiter at the end of the chain and that helped immensely. I also dialed back the amp's channel and master volume slightly and the issue seems to be gone. I think the LA Studio Comp was the real magic here.

Thanks again!

Some more updates here.

TURN THE INPUT PAD ON!

Makes a huge difference if you want all amps to have more clean headroom. Even on low output single coils this makes far more amps usable for me (I am primarily a clean player). I wish someone had suggested this early on, best overall change to my Helix yet.

• Upvote 1