Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Looper Best Practices - Avoiding Sudden Transitions on Each Repeat of Loop

jdag

I am brand new to using a looper, and so far I love it.  And wondering why I didn't have one long ago!  However, there's 1 annoyance, and it is very very likely user error.

Each time my recording goes back to the beginning of the loop, I clearly hear the transition point.  It is sort of an "abrupt transition" back to the beginning.  It is especially noticeable in shorter loops.

Are there some best practices (other than keep learning to use loopers better) that could help me avoid the noticeable repeating point?

• Upvote 1

This is always the tricky part.  I recommend that you practice hitting the record switch in time with your first note/chord, and that you start and stop the recording hard on the "one" beat.  Another trick: set up a longer, silent initial loop, and add sounds using overdubs.

43 minutes ago, jdag said:

I am brand new to using a looper, and so far I love it.  And wondering why I didn't have one long ago!  However, there's 1 annoyance, and it is very very likely user error.

Each time my recording goes back to the beginning of the loop, I clearly hear the transition point.  It is sort of an "abrupt transition" back to the beginning.  It is especially noticeable in shorter loops.

Are there some best practices (other than keep learning to use loopers better) that could help me avoid the noticeable repeating point?

It helps to not suck when using loopers...;)

Often I think the tendency is to stop playing when you're hitting the footswitch to end the loop... try not to do that. Keep playing for another beat or two, as if you were gonna go back to the beginning for another pass yourself. It's easier said than done sometimes. Also, a lot of players (except the "human metronome" types ;) ) tend to play either just in front of, or just behind the beat... that can complicate things too, if your tapping out just off the beat. Mostly it's just trial and error until you get used to using them.

• Like 1

In a non-live-performance use case, it helps me to play the first measure(s) twice and hit the start button on the second round to avoid unintended loud or soft entrance volume or other startup anomalies. Also agree on what was said above about continue playing while hitting the stop button. The rest is just getting used to the timing  / foot action delay anticipation by practicing. When you stop thinking about how to get it right, you’ve mastered the technique ;-)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MartinDorr said:

In a non-live-performance use case, it helps me to play the first measure(s) twice and hit the start button on the second round to avoid unintended loud or soft entrance volume or other startup anomalies. Also agree on what was said above about continue playing while hitting the stop button. The rest is just getting used to the timing  / foot action delay anticipation by practicing. When you stop thinking about how to get it right, you’ve mastered the technique ;-)

Thanks for the input.  I was 99.9% sure that it was a learning process...like everything else with guitar, music, Helix, etc......