Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

MIDI actions for Preset Up/Down and Snapshot Up/Down?

mcox99

What kind of application are you thinking of? There are all sorts of small MIDI controllers that will let you scroll through PCs, and it would be pretty easy to program something to scroll through snapshots.

As far as I'm aware, most MIDI controllers don't allow for scrolling through PCs, and definitely not through individual CC values for the snapshot selection MIDI implementation on Helix. It'd be nice to have a dedicated MIDI message to just control snapshot up or down and same with preset (eg. MIDI CC70 Val 0-63 = snapshot up, CC70 val 64-127 = snapshot down).

I don't own a Helix, but I do own an HX Effects. On the HX the UP/DOWN buttons can be assigned to "BANK", "SNAPSHOT" or "PATCH".... which do exactly what you are asking. Does the HELIX not do this? Or if it does, is it purely a MIDI option you are looking for? 

• 2 weeks later...

Funnily enough - i was just googling for this issue now - as i've recently bought an Actuation 12-stomp MIDI USB foot controller.  

it is a very limited but value for money item. And one needs to use some app or hardware in order to remap the MIDI CC messages from what is sent out from the Actuation unit to the HELIX.     I am using an iOS app MIDIFLOW on my iPad which is connected as USB HOST - to a USB hub to which both my HELIX and the Actition controller are connected. 

By setting up a custom page in MIDIFLOW to remap all the MIDI CC messages from the 12 stomps to the correct CC messages for the HELIX I can operate all the 10 FX bypass switches remotely.  I'll be getting to work tomorrow to do a separate MIDIFLOW page to allow the Actition box to select snapshots ( according to the MIDI specs in the HELIX manual ). 

But - as those here have found out - there doesnt yet seem to be a way of simply sending out MIDI CC messages to the HELIX simply to flip to the next preset - or down. 

I can think of workarounds but i can agree with others here that it would be nice to be able to map ANY aspect normally controlled by stomps - to an external device - in my case an external stomp box i plan to use so my HELIX can be mounted on a high stand or coffee table while I still have something to do a bit of pedal-ballet with - er.... down below...

• 4 weeks later...

On further research into this i appears there is actually **NO**  support in the MIDI standard for preset UP/DOWN functionality.

Which is a bit of a shame.  Who knows  maybe in the very new MIDI HD ( or whatever its called these days ) "new improved"  MIDI spec ( i.e. the one that includes MPC and lots of new goodies )  will address this issue - since it seems such a useful one - to me at least.