Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to tap long delay times on Helix

Propower

I often am in a song and want to tap a delay time of a whole measure (or half a measure) - to do call and answer stuff. Whenever I try this with tap tempo it is never close. I know I am less than the 2 second limit of the delay (maybe 1 second or so) but the delay is wildly off.  If I tap normal 1/4 notes all is fine but once i try to have more like half not spaces it is way off. Any ideas how to improve this? Am I the only one who sees this :-)

Thanks!

I have found the tap tempo function is not very accurate (or I am just dim and can't get it to work). I have very little luck tapping tempos and having them be close at all. I have stopped trying and just save programmed tempos per song. I have the same preset template in preset slots, just program the tempo differently. I thought about trying to sync tempo via midi to an external device (iPad or laptop), but haven't dedicated the time to that yet. 

Phil - I have struggled with the Note value and finally have figured it out. Being an old delay pedal guy I was stuck that tap was a time control - its not. It really is a tap tempo in that taps are always BPM. For things to make sense in the rest of the pedalboard it is always quarter notes!  The note value in the timing is what does this tapped quarter note turn into for the function it is assigned to (delay in my uses most of the time). Once this light went off for me I find a simple "tap twice" on the TAP switch in quarter notes to be perfectly adequate. Not sure if more taps get averaged or not (hoping it is) but will test that later. Then for most call response things setting the Note parameter to 1/2 is what I mostly want with 1/1 as another option. 

This has vexed me for months and I mostly gave up - but now I am actually pretty excited since I do a ton of solo work and this will give me access to a much missed tool (used to have a timeline for this).

PS - huge love for the 1 switch looper.

PSPS - It may also have something to do with the 2.6 FW upgrade I just did but taps do seem accurate in todays 1/2 hour playing...