Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Ebony Fretboard

A number of guitar companies are moving away from rosewood due to CITIES issues.

Some wood suppliers were passing off rosewood as being CITIES compliant when it's not, 

part of what got Gibson in trouble,... twice. So now nobody wants to risk that. Many are

moving to CITIES compliant ebony for their fret-boards.

Not certain where we are on that, I only see these guitars after the fact when they come across my repair bench.

1 hour ago, psarkissian said:

A number of guitar companies are moving away from rosewood due to CITIES issues.

Some wood suppliers were passing off rosewood as being CITIES compliant when it's not, 

part of what got Gibson in trouble,... twice. So now nobody wants to risk that. Many are

moving to CITIES compliant ebony for their fret-boards.

Not certain where we are on that, I only see these guitars after the fact when they come across my repair bench.

And once the fury dies down and nobody uses rosewood anymore, the revenue from fines (and the headlines they generate) will dry up, and they'll have to find some other wood to "save"... and they will. So enjoy it while you can fellas, eventually we'll all be playing on plastic.

3 minutes ago, psarkissian said:

Plastic,... carbon,.... climate change,... I don't think so. 

Steel tariffs,... hmmm, thinking ahead maybe?

Some other wood,... don't know yet, maybe in 50 years.

50 years? I doubt it...it took less than 10 for the original Lacey Act restrictions in 2007 (maybe 2008... don't quote me) to go from Brazilian rosewood, to essentially all rosewood, regardless of origin, as of January 2017. They'll bring the hammer down on something else as soon as there's a big enough hole in their budget. 

True. Maybe the next round of woods will take longer and be more well considered before jumping

into the next wood variety. Or we'll all have to do concerts from where we're at and not cross borders

for fear of our instruments being confiscated for CITIES non-compliance (already happening in some circles).

Total agreement there.