Jump to content
c0ntact0

HX Effects stop reponding

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

Sometimes my HX Effects stop reponding when I chose a preset after a startup. Then I need to restart the unity and do a "Factory Reset" in preferences->Action. This appens mostly when the HX is connected to the Mac.

 

Using:

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017) with 16Gb of memory

MacOS X 10.13.5

HX firmware 2.60

HX Edit 2.60

 

Thanks

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does it ever happen when the unit is not connected to the computer? If not, then I suspect a communication error with the Mac. Try a different USB cable and/or a different USB port on the MAC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine too on Windows. I send it back to my reseller and get a new one. Now i have no freezing problems.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can be a problem related with looping midi commands? I turn off the USB Midi and seams better.

I have this problem too:

Any help is appreciated.

 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday I gone to pratice with the band and the HX freezes without the USB connection. I manage to solve the problem but when I come home I have the same problem again but this time I notice that the problem ocurred with one specific preset, so I delete it. After that I work for about one hour connected to the HX Edit and no problems at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A new one arrived, same problem, returned for refund. I'm buying a MOD Duo from MOD Devices. No more Line6 for me.
Line6 is playing with the customers patience...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, c0ntact0 said:

A new one arrived, same problem, returned for refund. I'm buying a MOD Duo from MOD Devices. No more Line6 for me.
Line6 is playing with the customers patience...

 

I think my HX has frozen up perhaps once since I've had it... Did you happen to restore the second unit from a backup you created from the first unit? Was the second unit running the latest firmware?

 

Sorry things didn't work out for you, but I can pretty confidently say your experience isn't typical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always a costumer fault. The 3 volts at the tip it's user error too? We change from EXP Pedal to Amp in settings and nothing changes.

For me it is enough,

I will not admit any lack of respect, Line6 never as tried to understand if the costumer have been rigth about his complines.

The support it's a crap as the device.

This isn't typical too?

https://line6.com/support/topic/32964-hx-effects-audio-artifacts

And now closing the post for replays. What a shame Line6.

Maybe they have series with defects, but they priority it's to call the customers idiots. Nice move...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, c0ntact0 said:

Always a costumer fault. The 3 volts at the tip it's user error too? We change from EXP Pedal to Amp in settings and nothing changes.

For me it is enough,

I will not admit any lack of respect, Line6 never as tried to understand if the costumer have been rigth about his complines.

The support it's a crap as the device.

This isn't typical too?

https://line6.com/support/topic/32964-hx-effects-audio-artifacts

And now closing the post for replays. What a shame Line6.

Maybe they have series with defects, but they priority it's to call the customers idiots. Nice move...

 

No one is blaming the customer or calling anyone an idiot here. I just asked you a few questions. And no one is closing this post... The audio artifacts post isn't open for replies because it's there for information purposes.

 

In order for problems to be solved, Line 6 needs to actually gather information on them. These boards aren't here as customer service boards. They are user discussion boards. The best way to contact Line 6 customer service is by opening up a support ticket or calling the CS phone number. I'm not a Line 6 customer service agent. I'm an expert user here, and there are a lot of other people willing to help here. But there are limits to what we can do, obviously.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, phil_m said:

 

No one is blaming the customer or calling anyone an idiot here. I just asked you a few questions. And no one is closing this post... The audio artifacts post isn't open for replies because it's there for information purposes.

 

In order for problems to be solved, Line 6 needs to actually gather information on them. These boards aren't here as customer service boards. They are user discussion boards. The best way to contact Line 6 customer service is by opening up a support ticket or calling the CS phone number. I'm not a Line 6 customer service agent. I'm an expert user here, and there are a lot of other people willing to help here. But there are limits to what we can do, obviously.

 

My messages exchange with Line6 support, no response to my last question, a simple question, do you want to saying to me that is the rigth way to do support?:

 

c0ntact0 Aug 13, 04:06 AM Returned to dealer, a new one arrived, same problems, returned for refund. I'm buying a MOD Duo from MOD Devices. No more Line6 for me. Line6 is playing with the customers patience... HX devices are a crap... Bye, bye
c0ntact0 Jul 17, 02:45 AM Ok, you don't need to copy paste parts of the manuals here, does not help. The problem are the 3 volts at the tip. I made a Y cable like this: two TRS jacks connected to the HX EXT Amp 1 and EXT Amp 2 only with ring and the sleeve solded on the jacks. On the amp I connect a TRS jack with the tip connected to the ring from HX EXT Amp 1 and the ring connected to the ring from HX EXT Amp 2. With this cable the Amp works well because there is NO VOLTAGE on the ring of the HX EXT Amp outputs. I maped one button to "1 ring" and other to "2 ring". But this is a workaround, what I need to know now is, why do I have 3 volts on the tip of the HX EXT Amp outputs. This is the normal behavior of the HX Effects or my unity have a defect?
cdegardin Jul 17, 01:31 AM How did you connect it ? Did you try both footswitch connectors of the Engl ?None does work? and see if any function is switched at all ? EXT AMP 1 and/or 2 must be assigned in the preferences of HX Effects (experiment with the Tip/Ring settings) Basic setup : 1. connect an instrument cable TS/TRS(TRS is necessary if you want to switch two functions) to PEDAL EXT AMP 1 and your amps footswitch connector 2. on HX Effects press Menu knob (the button with three bars right of SAVE) 3.press the switch FS3 under COMMAND CENTER 4.press the switch FS5 under the 6 footswitch icons to select the footswitch where you want to assign the function to (press it multiple times to step through the switches) 5.turn the upper Knob1 until the menu/display below it shows EXT AMP(Command), turn Knob2 to select 1 Tip or 1 Ring, or 1 T+R depending on your amp 6.Store the preset 7.this would switch the channel on your amp 8.if you want more switching (reverb, multiple amps) you can use the 2nd Pedal/EXT AMP Out 9.you can store this in a preset and you can also switch via snapshots or instant messages Unfortunately we don’t have that amp here to test. We did however test it with our Engle Fireball 100 and it worked just fine using either a TS or TRS cable with EXT amp switch to tip. We also cannot find anyone on any message boards confirming or denying the switching with this amp. If you tried all combinations, unfortunately it can be possible that it won't work with HX Effects EXT amp switching function According to Engl manual : 1/4" stereo jack for a dual footswitch, executes the following 20 Footswitch Clean/Lead, Gain Lo/Hi: 1/4" stereo jack for a dual footswitch, executes the following functions: 1. Channel switching between Clean and Lead (mono terminal). 2. Gain Lo - Hi: switches from Clean to Crunch during Clean mode and from Soft Lead to Heavy Lead during Lead mode (stereo terminal). 21 Footswitch V.L.S., Reverb: 1/4" stereo jack for a dual footswitch, executes the following functions: 1. Switching between the two Master volume levels Hi and Lo (mono terminal). 2. Reverb on/off (stereo terminal).
c0ntact0 Jul 16, 14:08 PM I have almost 3 Volts betwen the tip and the sleeve of the TRS EXT Amp jack. This is normal?
c0ntact0 Jul 16, 05:22 AM This is not an answer, it is copy and paste from the manual. ENGL Sreammer 50 uses a TRS switching system that is equal to "many popular amps and heads". The behavior of the switches does not show any difference between the Amp and EXT configurations, is this normal? For Line6 the customer buys the equipment and if the customer is lucky the switches may work with the customer's amplifier. I have a TC Electronics G-Major, two behringer fcb1010 and a Midi Solutions switch and the Boss FS-6 all work well, only HX Effects does not work. So I am grateful for a response that at least explains why HX Effects does not work and all these other "popular devices" work. I need a quick response because to me this is a defect of the equipment and there is a deadline to return defective equipment. I have been a Line6 customer for many years and I am sad about this poor support service.
c0ntact0 Jul 16, 04:49 AM This is not an answer, it is copy and paste from the manual. ENGL Sreammer 50 uses a TRS switching system that is equal to "many popular amps and heads". The behavior of the switches does not show any difference between the Amp and EXT configurations, is this normal? For Line6 the customer buys the equipment and if the customer is lucky the switches may work with the customer's amplifier. I have a TC Electronics G-Major, two behringer fcb1010 and a Midi Solutions switch and the Boss FS-6 all work well, only HX Effects does not work. So I am grateful for a response that at least explains why HX Effects does not work and all these other "popular devices" work. I need a quick response because to me this is a defect of the equipment and there is a deadline to return defective equipment. I have been a Line6 customer for many years and I am sad about this poor support service.
c0ntact0 Jul 16, 03:14 AM This is not an answer, it is copy and paste from the manual. ENGL Sreammer 50 uses a TRS switching system that is equal to "many popular amps and heads". The behavior of the switches does not show any difference between the Amp and EXT configurations, is this normal? For Line6 the customer buys the equipment and if the customer is lucky the switches may work with the customer's amplifier. I have a TC Electronics G-Major, two behringer fcb1010 and a Midi Solutions switch and the Boss FS-6 all work well, only HX Effects does not work. So I am grateful for a response that at least explains why HX Effects does not work and all these other "popular devices" work. I need a quick response because to me this is a defect of the equipment and there is a deadline to return defective equipment. I have been a Line6 customer for many years and I am sad about this poor support service.
cdegardin Jul 16, 01:04 AM Hi, HX Effects ability to control external amp channel and/or reverb switching has been tested with many popular amps and heads. Unfortunately this does not guarantee compatibility with all products. Note that, depending on the circuitry of the channel switching jack in the guitar amp used, the EXT Amp function may not operate as expected. Best regards, Technical Support Line 6 Support Europe
c0ntact0 Jul 14, 10:08 AM Selecting Amp or EXP in the preferences have no effect on the behavior of the jacks. The are some switching, but not as expected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, phil_m said:

 

No one is blaming the customer or calling anyone an idiot here. I just asked you a few questions. And no one is closing this post... The audio artifacts post isn't open for replies because it's there for information purposes.

 

In order for problems to be solved, Line 6 needs to actually gather information on them. These boards aren't here as customer service boards. They are user discussion boards. The best way to contact Line 6 customer service is by opening up a support ticket or calling the CS phone number. I'm not a Line 6 customer service agent. I'm an expert user here, and there are a lot of other people willing to help here. But there are limits to what we can do, obviously.

 

The audio artifacts post have been opened some hours ago, just closed recently. Myself have posted there. Why it's closed now? Too many complains?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, c0ntact0 said:

My messages exchange with Line6 support, no response to my last question, a simple question, do you want to saying to me that is the rigth way to do support?:

 

c0ntact0 Aug 13, 04:06 AM Returned to dealer, a new one arrived, same problems, returned for refund. I'm buying a MOD Duo from MOD Devices. No more Line6 for me. Line6 is playing with the customers patience... HX devices are a crap... Bye, bye
c0ntact0 Jul 17, 02:45 AM Ok, you don't need to copy paste parts of the manuals here, does not help. The problem are the 3 volts at the tip. I made a Y cable like this: two TRS jacks connected to the HX EXT Amp 1 and EXT Amp 2 only with ring and the sleeve solded on the jacks. On the amp I connect a TRS jack with the tip connected to the ring from HX EXT Amp 1 and the ring connected to the ring from HX EXT Amp 2. With this cable the Amp works well because there is NO VOLTAGE on the ring of the HX EXT Amp outputs. I maped one button to "1 ring" and other to "2 ring". But this is a workaround, what I need to know now is, why do I have 3 volts on the tip of the HX EXT Amp outputs. This is the normal behavior of the HX Effects or my unity have a defect?
cdegardin Jul 17, 01:31 AM How did you connect it ? Did you try both footswitch connectors of the Engl ?None does work? and see if any function is switched at all ? EXT AMP 1 and/or 2 must be assigned in the preferences of HX Effects (experiment with the Tip/Ring settings) Basic setup : 1. connect an instrument cable TS/TRS(TRS is necessary if you want to switch two functions) to PEDAL EXT AMP 1 and your amps footswitch connector 2. on HX Effects press Menu knob (the button with three bars right of SAVE) 3.press the switch FS3 under COMMAND CENTER 4.press the switch FS5 under the 6 footswitch icons to select the footswitch where you want to assign the function to (press it multiple times to step through the switches) 5.turn the upper Knob1 until the menu/display below it shows EXT AMP(Command), turn Knob2 to select 1 Tip or 1 Ring, or 1 T+R depending on your amp 6.Store the preset 7.this would switch the channel on your amp 8.if you want more switching (reverb, multiple amps) you can use the 2nd Pedal/EXT AMP Out 9.you can store this in a preset and you can also switch via snapshots or instant messages Unfortunately we don’t have that amp here to test. We did however test it with our Engle Fireball 100 and it worked just fine using either a TS or TRS cable with EXT amp switch to tip. We also cannot find anyone on any message boards confirming or denying the switching with this amp. If you tried all combinations, unfortunately it can be possible that it won't work with HX Effects EXT amp switching function According to Engl manual : 1/4" stereo jack for a dual footswitch, executes the following 20 Footswitch Clean/Lead, Gain Lo/Hi: 1/4" stereo jack for a dual footswitch, executes the following functions: 1. Channel switching between Clean and Lead (mono terminal). 2. Gain Lo - Hi: switches from Clean to Crunch during Clean mode and from Soft Lead to Heavy Lead during Lead mode (stereo terminal). 21 Footswitch V.L.S., Reverb: 1/4" stereo jack for a dual footswitch, executes the following functions: 1. Switching between the two Master volume levels Hi and Lo (mono terminal). 2. Reverb on/off (stereo terminal).
c0ntact0 Jul 16, 14:08 PM I have almost 3 Volts betwen the tip and the sleeve of the TRS EXT Amp jack. This is normal?
c0ntact0 Jul 16, 05:22 AM This is not an answer, it is copy and paste from the manual. ENGL Sreammer 50 uses a TRS switching system that is equal to "many popular amps and heads". The behavior of the switches does not show any difference between the Amp and EXT configurations, is this normal? For Line6 the customer buys the equipment and if the customer is lucky the switches may work with the customer's amplifier. I have a TC Electronics G-Major, two behringer fcb1010 and a Midi Solutions switch and the Boss FS-6 all work well, only HX Effects does not work. So I am grateful for a response that at least explains why HX Effects does not work and all these other "popular devices" work. I need a quick response because to me this is a defect of the equipment and there is a deadline to return defective equipment. I have been a Line6 customer for many years and I am sad about this poor support service.
c0ntact0 Jul 16, 04:49 AM This is not an answer, it is copy and paste from the manual. ENGL Sreammer 50 uses a TRS switching system that is equal to "many popular amps and heads". The behavior of the switches does not show any difference between the Amp and EXT configurations, is this normal? For Line6 the customer buys the equipment and if the customer is lucky the switches may work with the customer's amplifier. I have a TC Electronics G-Major, two behringer fcb1010 and a Midi Solutions switch and the Boss FS-6 all work well, only HX Effects does not work. So I am grateful for a response that at least explains why HX Effects does not work and all these other "popular devices" work. I need a quick response because to me this is a defect of the equipment and there is a deadline to return defective equipment. I have been a Line6 customer for many years and I am sad about this poor support service.
c0ntact0 Jul 16, 03:14 AM This is not an answer, it is copy and paste from the manual. ENGL Sreammer 50 uses a TRS switching system that is equal to "many popular amps and heads". The behavior of the switches does not show any difference between the Amp and EXT configurations, is this normal? For Line6 the customer buys the equipment and if the customer is lucky the switches may work with the customer's amplifier. I have a TC Electronics G-Major, two behringer fcb1010 and a Midi Solutions switch and the Boss FS-6 all work well, only HX Effects does not work. So I am grateful for a response that at least explains why HX Effects does not work and all these other "popular devices" work. I need a quick response because to me this is a defect of the equipment and there is a deadline to return defective equipment. I have been a Line6 customer for many years and I am sad about this poor support service.
cdegardin Jul 16, 01:04 AM Hi, HX Effects ability to control external amp channel and/or reverb switching has been tested with many popular amps and heads. Unfortunately this does not guarantee compatibility with all products. Note that, depending on the circuitry of the channel switching jack in the guitar amp used, the EXT Amp function may not operate as expected. Best regards, Technical Support Line 6 Support Europe
c0ntact0 Jul 14, 10:08 AM Selecting Amp or EXP in the preferences have no effect on the behavior of the jacks. The are some switching, but not as expected.

 

Well, he replied twice to the issue and didn't reply the last time. He could have simply missed your question. I'm not sure. You seem pretty combative throughout the whole exchange, though. As far as the voltage on the tip, I'm not sure. I could check mine with a meter. It seems a moot point now, though, since you've decided to go another route.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, c0ntact0 said:

The audio artifacts post have been opened some hours ago, just closed recently. Myself have posted there. Why it's closed now? Too many complains?

 

Are you talking about this post?

 

I think it's been closed since Tony posted it... There are no replies on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the same Problem with my HX Effects. Suddenly the board is not responding to any switch (no connection to a computer). After I cleared all presets it worked for a while. When i tried to edit the presets again the HX freezes again. Could this be a software problem with the v.2.60 for some special configuration?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When this happened to me I backed up my presets, reinstalled the firmware, and loaded my presets back in. Haven't had a problem since. I'm suspected something gets corrupted in a preset or somewhere else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, koppensteiner said:

I had the same Problem with my HX Effects. Suddenly the board is not responding to any switch (no connection to a computer). After I cleared all presets it worked for a while. When i tried to edit the presets again the HX freezes again. Could this be a software problem with the v.2.60 for some special configuration?

The only thing I can give you is my solidarity. I thing it’s time to Line6 admits they have, at least, a series of HX Effects with problems. For me the nightmare is over, I buy equipment from other brands and I very happy with them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, koppensteiner said:

I had the same Problem with my HX Effects. Suddenly the board is not responding to any switch (no connection to a computer). After I cleared all presets it worked for a while. When i tried to edit the presets again the HX freezes again. Could this be a software problem with the v.2.60 for some special configuration?

 

When you say you cleared all presets, how exactly did you do that? Did you do a factory reset?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, c0ntact0 said:

The only thing I can give you is my solidarity. I thing it’s time to Line6 admits they have, at least, a series of HX Effects with problems. For me the nightmare is over, I buy equipment from other brands and I very happy with them.

I still hope its only a SW or HW problem and they can/will fix it. ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, phil_m said:

 

When you say you cleared all presets, how exactly did you do that? Did you do a factory reset?

in fact I did a downgrade of the software to v.2.54 and back to 2.60. Then all my presets were unreadable. So i did a factory reset, installed the new HX Edit and downloaded some IRs.Then I started to edit the presets from the beginning with HX Edit. After 5 presets suddenly the HX didnt respond to any button again. But I still had the chance to do a backup. So I did a Factory Reset again, reinstalled the Software v.2.60 and restored the backup. Just now its running.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there !

Something similar happened to me last week.

After powering up the unit, it froze to the last saved situation. The buttons didn't work. anymore.

I solved by switching off and on, while pressing the 2 bottom-right buttons.

It seems it resets the presets to the factory.

So I lost the presets.

It seems at a given moment a preset was corrupted and it prevent the unit to work properly.

As far as I backup my presets regularly, this is not a real problem.

But, what Line6 propose to do when it happens during a gig when we don't have a PC to restore backups ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×