Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Native 4CM via Reaper and DI

tex000hex

Posted this over at The Gear Page too:

I recently sold a HD500X I had been using via 4CM to my amp for effects. Being a Helix Native user I figured there should be a way to get Native running into my amp via my DI (Komplete Audio 6) and put the time based effects in the amp’s effects loop and distortions, etc. into the front of the amp. I was able to do this perfectly using Reaper and my DI.

Items you need:

1. A DI with two inputs and two outputs
  2. Reaper
  3. Helix Native

The connections to your DI setup is as follows:

• Guitar into DI input 1
  • Front of amp into DI output 1
  • Amp effects loop send into DI input 2
  • Amp effects loop return into DI output 2

Next Reaper:

1. In Reaper create two tracks
  2. Track 1 set the Input to Input 1 on your DI
  3. Click the Routing button in Reaper and unckeck the Master Send box (upper left corner)
  4. In that same Routing dialog box, under Audio Hardware Outputs, click “Add new hardware output” and set it to Output 1
  5. Repeat these exact same steps for Track 2 except set the input to Input 2 and when you “Add new hardware output” change the output to Output 2

Helix Native:

• In Reaper add Helix Native instance for Track 1 and another instance of Native for Track 2
  • Track 1 = where you put all your Noise Gate, Distortions, etc.
  • Track 2 = All time based effects, Delay, Reverb, etc.

You have to manage two separate Native instances (one in each track) but this approach totally works and the effects sound just as you would expect. Fantastic!