Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV power and signal output possibilities

I'll start with a simple question, which someone may be able to answer off the top of his/her head. Then, I'll go into a tedious explanation of what I'd like to accomplish.

First, the question: If my JTV-59 is connected to a compatible Line 6 device with a VDI cable, will the analog output at the guitar's 1/4" output jack be suppressed, or could it be connected via a standard guitar cord to play through an amplifier?

Now for the rest of the story, which may spark an alternate solution, or may result in a 'You can't get there from here' unhappy ending...

The battery on my JTV-59 doesn't seem to have much longevity, despite the fact that I use the mag pickups more than the modeling. I'd like to be able to power it for everyday use and practice by connecting it to my Pod XT Live via VDI. But I'd prefer to go wireless into my Amplifi 30 through a Relay G10 plugged into the 1/4" output, because I like the sound of the Amplifi more than the output of the Pod XT played through my stereo amplifier. In this scenario, I'd essentially be using the Pod XT Live as an expensive power supply. But that's ok -- it's paid-for...

If the output continues to be available at the 1/4" jack while connected via VDI, it would also open up the possibility to use the Pod XT Live to change models on the JTV, which would be VERY cool. I'd still be using the Amplifi for amplification, but wouldn't have to play with the knobs and switches on the guitar in the middle of a song.

Another option that solely addresses the power issue may involve the XPS footswitch, which I've basically never used, although I have at least two of them, supplied with my Variax 500 and 600 guitars. Maybe it would be possible to power the Variax with the XPS and it's 3-conductor guitar cable, and plug the Relay G10 into the 1/4" output of the XPS box?

I know: I could try these combinations, myself. And probably will. But I thought it would be useful to throw these scenarios out there and see if others have tried or given thought to possibilities such as these.

Look forward to hearing any ideas or suggestions... 

18 minutes ago, cbrillow said:

I'll start with a simple question, which someone may be able to answer off the top of his/her head. Then, I'll go into a tedious explanation of what I'd like to accomplish.

First, the question: If my JTV-59 is connected to a compatible Line 6 device with a VDI cable, will the analog output at the guitar's 1/4" output jack be suppressed, or could it be connected via a standard guitar cord to play through an amplifier?

It'll function, yes... the question is for how long? The power(s) that be have repeatedly warned against doing so, however. Don't bother trying to find out why... their legendary 007 cloak and dagger routine forbids it. If you search around you'll find vague references to using both outputs simultaneously causing some sort if circuit "overload". Whether or not it'll actually happen is anybody's guess. 

Thanks for your comment. I tried a forum search before posting this to see if it had been addressed, but didn't waste a lot of time trying different search term combinations. I'd like to be able to see these admonitions...

Circuit overload, eh? Sounds like pholgiston to me... Or poor circuit design, if true.

No, not poor circuit design, just wasn't intended to be used that way. It's a current draw thing.

I've done multiple split outputs on my own guitars, but they are also all analog passives

going into active circuitry. Variax is just a different cat, have to cuddle it under the chin a little different.

If you try to run magnetics with models and add Alt Tune, you get mags in standard tuning

and Models in a different tuning. Just sounds bad.

1 hour ago, psarkissian said:

I do appreciate that you've read my post and offered some type of response. I expected a defensive stance, as you seem to be a good company man, and I also realize that you're not permitted to reveal technical details here on the forum. I respect your position and your expertise. That stated, I have some follow-up comments...

No, not poor circuit design, just wasn't intended to be used that way. It's a current draw thing.

I'm at a severe disadvantage because I can't look at the circuitry,  and have to rely on general knowledge and experience with electronics, guitars and amps.

The current draw explanation seems spurious to me. For one thing, the output available at the 1/4" jack -- whether is from the modeling electronics or the mag pups -- is scaled to approximate a typical guitar signal, meaning milivolts, whether it's 10 or 150mv, and is going into a high impedance guitar amplifier input. Not exactly a big current drain situation in my eyes.

I'll stop there, although the temptation is strong to speculate about internal routing of the signals and how they relate to the D-A and A-D conversion components to handle the modeling and transmission along the VDI. Sure, at some point, there may be an issue with the line to the 1/4" output presenting an extra load on an output only designed  to handle connection to an internal stage of the onboard processing. But I remain skeptical that it's a current issue...

There's no point in my even going there, because 1) I don't know for certain, and, 2) I'd be told that I'm wrong, just because I'm not supposed to know. So I'll just leave it at that.

I know there's little chance that you'll address this, but I'll throw it out there anyway for anyone else who may care to comment: If this is truly a current-draw issue, I should be able to avoid any loading with a unity-gain voltage follower at the 1/4" output. From there, I should be able to do anything I want to with the signal without any possible interaction with the JTV electronics -- even hook up jumper cables to ground... 

1 hour ago, psarkissian said:

If you try to run magnetics with models and add Alt Tune, you get mags in standard tuning

and Models in a different tuning. Just sounds bad.

This is beyond the scope of what I'm looking to do, and would seem to require a hardware mod to even attempt it. 

"This is beyond the scope of what I'm looking to do, and would seem to require a hardware mod to even attempt it. "---

I figured that, but there are those who would start from where you want to go and then try what I mentioned.

I have mentioned to the engineers on a couple occasions the desires of those that want to make use of both outputs 

simultaneously and the issues involved in trying these sorts of things at the present stage of things.

There's a thing called "Idea Scale", for submitting ideas,... a wish list of a sort. It's how the Helix was created.

Once again, thanks for your comment.

I'm familiar with IdeaScale, and used to get weekly notifications. For some reason, those notifications stopped, and I have to make it a point to remember to visit occasionally.