Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using DT50 / Helix and JTV?

G'day groovers, I know the older HD series controllers could be used /integrated with the DT amps and JTV guitars into the so-called Dream Rig, can the Helix work in place of the HD series Pods?
I have a couple of JTV models, a Helix floorboard and a DT50, and I want to use the amp itself to generate the valve tones... on stage rather than digitally emulating them, which I believe is exactly what the older HD Pods would allow, but nobody seems to be able to tell me (I've asked the guys that sell this gear in the big smoke) how or if the Helix will integrate in the same manner.  I can not imagine that Line 6 removed that capability with the later generation of foot controllers, and of they did, I would think it is just a matter of them writing a patch to allow it to work int he same fashion.   As much as I have tried for years to get my head around the various Helix, HD and previous model Pods, I still find I need to hear and feel a grinding amp behind me moving the air as only valve amps seem to do, so does anyone here understand how to make this happen please?  
I'd only be running into the valve amp for actual electric guitar sounds, clean and dirty, if I am simulating acoustic, 12 string, Sitar.... I will be wanting to divert the sound direct to the desk and monitors, to keep these sounds as pure and close to the original as humanly possible.  
Cheers

I think the short answer is ‘no’ you can’t and ‘yes’ they removed the integration.

I’ve held off going Helix as there isn’t ‘L6 Link’ integration.

There is talk about this in other threads and as I recall it was all ‘use a clean sound on the amp and model with the Helix’ or use a midi controller.

Very short sited in my opinion and destroyed the idea of Dream Rig. Everyone seems to be frfr theses days....

How hard could it be for them to write it into a patch / update? and make the Helix workable with these monster amps?  

That is what I figured, and yes extremely short sighted.  Old school guitarists want to hear / see a decent valve rig on stage.  Whether it is purely a placebo or what I am notes debatable, but when I spent the money buying all this stuff, and the previous models were totally integrated, I think dumping the idea is retarded at best.  So basically I have the choices of going back to a HD rig, or getting rid of the DT..., and after they spent so much time and money convincing us how this Dream rig concept was really the best of both worlds.   The amp itself is fantastic, and I guess I could just try to connect one of my midi controllers to it and use it that way, but then I lose all the Helix gizmos.   They definitely dropped the ball on this one, because having all the Helix sounds available through the DT would pretty well blow any other rig out of the water I think.  They obviously think we all have money to burn,  "Oh they can afford to throw these expensive toys in the back room, and buy the latest FRFR system, to accommodate our newest (probably also short sighted) direction."  We use valve amps for a very good reason, we crave that warmth and the feeling we get when the air is thumping out at us.  Sure we might be able to get a similar experience with a FRFR system, but you can't gig with just an FRFR, you need the Helix... to go with it, where as I can walk out the door with just a two channel amp and not be worried about the lack of fx.

• 11 months later...
On 7/25/2018 at 1:31 AM, kenmac1 said:

How hard could it be for them to write it into a patch / update? and make the Helix workable with these monster amps?  

That is what I figured, and yes extremely short sighted.  Old school guitarists want to hear / see a decent valve rig on stage.  Whether it is purely a placebo or what I am notes debatable, but when I spent the money buying all this stuff, and the previous models were totally integrated, I think dumping the idea is retarded at best.  So basically I have the choices of going back to a HD rig, or getting rid of the DT..., and after they spent so much time and money convincing us how this Dream rig concept was really the best of both worlds.   The amp itself is fantastic, and I guess I could just try to connect one of my midi controllers to it and use it that way, but then I lose all the Helix gizmos.   They definitely dropped the ball on this one, because having all the Helix sounds available through the DT would pretty well blow any other rig out of the water I think.  They obviously think we all have money to burn,  "Oh they can afford to throw these expensive toys in the back room, and buy the latest FRFR system, to accommodate our newest (probably also short sighted) direction."  We use valve amps for a very good reason, we crave that warmth and the feeling we get when the air is thumping out at us.  Sure we might be able to get a similar experience with a FRFR system, but you can't gig with just an FRFR, you need the Helix... to go with it, where as I can walk out the door with just a two channel amp and not be worried about the lack of fx.

With the new v2.8 firmware update they've added L6 connectivity and control. I'm still trying to find out to what extent that is without having to go out and get a Helix. Don't want to make the purchase if it's not going to work like it does with the POD HD 500x. Check out the DT amps part of the forum as they have a few post on it there. 

Jd

I've had enough. I've been waiting a lot of time for this update. And now I see it doesn't work for me. Someone suggested that my cable is not good. I bought a new one. Not good now.
I supposed to upgrade the DT25 firmware, but it doesn't work with my USB-Midi converter.
I spent a lot of time and no results.
Now, I'm going to regret buying the Helix LT.

On 7/25/2019 at 11:26 AM, ezut said:

I've had enough. I've been waiting a lot of time for this update. And now I see it doesn't work for me. Someone suggested that my cable is not good. I bought a new one. Not good now.
I supposed to upgrade the DT25 firmware, but it doesn't work with my USB-Midi converter.
I spent a lot of time and no results.
Now, I'm going to regret buying the Helix LT.

I had the same problem. I was using an I connect mio and it wouldn't work. I picked up the m-audio uno 1x1 midi interface and all is now awesome.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...