Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix snapshot dropped sound, not letting me reset it.

kenmac1

G'day groovers, I had a guy program in a heap of snapshots for me a while back because I have no freaking clue with this digital stuff, in spite of owning Line 6 gear for over a decade now.  Sorry some of us just are not hardwired to program when we were raised with stomp boxes and valve amps.   I had not trouble getting my head around the JTV guitars, and their predecessors, the original series of Variax guitars, but the digital amp simulators ... ie the Helix and HD... you might as well be speaking to me in some alien language, as I would have more chance of deciphering it.
Anyhow he did a fantastic job when he programmed the snapshots, other than a few slight level issues, which were sorted out the next time I got together with my band, the whole thing seemed to be running brilliantly, then a couple of weeks ago for no apparent reason it decided to dump the 12 string portion of the snapshot.  I was not editing or playing with any f the buttons, I simply changed between sounds and the 12 string acoustic sound was no longer where it was supposed to be.
What I had was a simple set up that allowed me to transition between acoustic, 12 string, clean and dirty electrics, sitar, lead tone and harmony lead.  It is used with my JTV guitars, but now when I hit the 12 string switch, it reverts to an electric sound.  I have manually selected the 12 string sound on the guitar with that button activated on the Helix, and then saved it, but it instantly reverts back to the default electric, in spite of every other sound still being where I want them.  
I'm sure it is just my total utter cluelessness at fault here, probably a button I am not pressing or some really retarded newbie issue I should know by now, but as I said, programming digital gear and me are not the best match.  
Any advice in total newbie terms would be appreciated.  If need be I will upload my snapshot grid thing onto there, and let you guys play around with it, as you might be able to work it out faster that way, but it will need to wait until I get home, as I do not carry the Helix with me, but I always have one of my MacBooks, so I figured while I was surfing the net, I would write this post and see if anyone could tell me how to make this go back as it was programmed.  Cheers.
I have just located an older backup from January, so I will try and install that when I get home, and hope it resets back to what I had previously, but I am not sure whether that backup was from before or after the snapshots were programmed in any case.

10 hours ago, kenmac1 said:

I have just located an older backup from January, so I will try and install that when I get home, and hope it resets back to what I had previously, but I am not sure whether that backup was from before or after the snapshots were programmed in any case.

One thing to check is go to any preset with a Variax set for the Input block and go to the second page of the parameters for the Input block and make sure the 'Variax Settings' parameter is set to "Per Preset". It will affect all of your other Variax settings as it is a global settings despite the fact that it is located within a preset.

Restoring a full system backup from January that may or may not have your snapshots seems like a bad plan unless you are talking about individual presets backed up that can be restored to new locations so as not to overwrite the current ones that include your snapshots. In either case I would make current backup(s) before restoring anything.  That January backup is not exactly current.

Btw, what version of the firmware are you on? One of the behaviors now with the Variax in the 2.6 firmware is that unless you force a new tuning when you switch presets it will stay on the tuning of the last Variax preset you had selected.

10 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

One thing to check is go to any preset with a Variax set for the Input block and go to the second page of the parameters for the Input block and make sure the 'Variax Settings' parameter is set to "Per Preset". It will affect all of your other Variax settings as it is a global settings despite the fact that it is located within a preset.

Restoring a full system backup from January that may or may not have your snapshots seems like a bad plan unless you are talking about individual presets backed up that can be restored to new locations so as not to overwrite the current ones that include your snapshots. In either case I would make current backup(s) before restoring anything.  That January backup is not exactly current.

Btw, what version of the firmware are you on? One of the behaviors now with the Variax in the 2.6 firmware is that unless you force a new tuning when you switch presets it will stay on the tuning of the last Variax preset you had selected.

I can't say what version is on the machine, I do not have it here with me, however tunings are not an issue, I always use standard tuning, so while it may cause issues for people who have various tunings saved, it is not one I will need to deal with.
Thanks for the other information, I will check it when I get home and see if that is how tit is set.   I am doing a screenshot of your answer, as I am a complete no hoper when it comes to anything remotely technical, but I have seen he screen you are on about, so I am sure I can find it again.  (Did I mention I have no clue when it comes to technical stuff?).  I love the fact that I can do so much (potentially) with the Line 6 gear, in regards to being able to switch actual instrument sounds on the fly, (acoustic, 12 string, clean and dirty electric....) but the whole programming part of that totally does my brain in.  I'd much rather pay someone to program my presets, at least then I know it will be done right.  
How would that "per reset" thing have been able to change itself without me scrolling through windows?  It is something that could have occurred when I was changing through sounds via foot-switches?  I literally avoid going into the menus at all costs.  I know most of you guys love doing that, but I prefer to dodge that bullet completely if ti is at all possible.  
Cheers.‹

The fact that you have not really changed your firmware or presets prompts a low-tech solution. Unplug and reseat the Variax's VDI cable on both ends; or even test another one if you have a spare (a spare ethernet cable can be used for the duration of the test). Another thing I would try is moving the controls on the Variax around particularly the model knob. Perhaps something got wonky there.