Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax repairs in Canada

The electronics in my out of warranty JTV59 are dead. Has anyone gone thru the process of getting a Variax guitar repaired in Canada? Are parts available? It probably needs a new main board, something I could easily install myself.

5 hours ago, dalix22 said:

The electronics in my out of warranty JTV59 are dead. Has anyone gone thru the process of getting a Variax guitar repaired in Canada? Are parts available? It probably needs a new main board, something I could easily install myself.

AHHH ! 

My favorite subject !   HOWEVER .......I'm no longer allowed to discuss the facts in public.

Just a little heads up tho'.............even if you put the mainboard in yourself.....it still has to go in to get it programmed. 

The new mainboard is blank as I understand it. 

At least yer not in Australia.

Shawn

Thank you all for your comments. Unfortunately the tech at my local Long and McQuade told me he doesn't handle this type of repairs and referred me to a local electronics repair shop. In the meantime, the good folks at Yorkville responded to my inquiry and gave me the part number for the board and instructed me to order it via L&M, which I did today. 

Psarkissian, is the board a direct drop in or does it need some kind of initialization that only a Line 6 tech can do? If it's a drop in, I can easily do it as I have 30+ years experience maintaining and sometimes repairing scientific instruments. 

7 minutes ago, dalix22 said:

.... Unfortunately the tech at my local Long and McQuade told me he doesn't handle this type of repairs and referred me to a local electronics repair shop. ... 

That tech is misinformed. All requests to L&M for Line 6 repairs should be accepted by L&M and referred to their owner, Yorkville, for repair.  L&M is the repair intake/outlet location.

On 7/24/2018 at 12:53 PM, dalix22 said:

is the board a direct drop in or does it need some kind of initialization that only a Line 6 tech can do? 

Simple Question.

Just thought that I'd try to tell you why it didn't work after you put it in.

Shawn

"... is the board a direct drop in or does it need some kind of initialization that only a Line 6 tech can do?"---

That also assumes that the board is the source of your problem.

If it's correctly programmed for the guitar that it's going into it's a drop-in. These boards are not interchangeable.

You can't just take any board from any JTV and put it into another JTV. A 59 won't work in a 69 or 89 series. The

hardware is the same, the program isn't.

Needs to be properly troubleshooted by an authorized service tech who know the product. This is not our grandfather's

arch-top Gibson guitar with passive electronics.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When you engage the switch on the Alt Tune, the Model LED goes blue and a 2nd layer of models comes up,

acoustic and electric 12-strings are among the models. 

Looks like you got the correct board. And that should be "Tested PBS",... PBS being my initials. Good.

Yes, I can access all the models and alt tunings no problem. Workbench HD also correctly identifies the guitar as JTV-59 and all my Helix presets work as expected meaning switching guitar model, volume, tone, etc. as I move from one preset to another.