Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using The Vocoder Effect On Pod X3 Pro

Eulpierrot

Hello,

I've been looking for a while, trying a lot of different microphones, reading the whole user's guide and trying again, even flashing my device with the latest firmware, but I still can't make the Vocoder work on my POD X3 pro.

Can anybody tell me what to do?

- wich mic input should be used?

- which input parameters?

- what is the secret?

As silly as it seems, I really need that effect, please help!

Thank you

Pierre

I found this thread:

The full Page>>>http://line6.com/supportarchivenew/thread/29611

Re: How does the Vocoder work?
by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2010-02-19 18:43:00

The Vocoder can work on a single tone, you don't need to mess with inputs across tone 1 and tone 2.  You plug your mic in and the mic will trigger the sound from your guitar.  It works really really well.

It took a bit of tweaking to get it to actually perform like a Vocoder.

Try this -  I was using the Variax 700 via VDI connection and a shure SM58 mic.  The settings that worked well were:

Input: 100%
Mic: 100%
Decay: 50%
Mix 100%

This worked beautifully when vocoded with chords.  Single notes worked well too but the real vocoder effect came through with chords.

Give that a go.

Cheers,

Crusty

Re: How does the Vocoder work?
by silverhead on 2010-03-03 06:27:27

Use Guitar as your Input setting for the Tone. When you select and turn on the Vocoder as an effect for the Tone the X3 will automatically start to use the Mic Input as a trigger for the guitar. Your guitar will no longer sound (even thought it remains the selected input for the Tone) until the X3 detects a signal at the Mic input.

• Downvote 1

Thank you Brazzy for answering,

Unfortunately, these settings won't let me hear any vocoding fx. The mike is plugged in the mic input, same channel as the guitar's (I haven't got any Variax to use that input), and it's not detected by the X3. So I hear a tiny guitar sound with no modulation, even if I push the mic's gain or scream like a cow.

I must add that microphone (shure beta57, dynamic) and XLR cable are okay (tested on other devices) and that when I use the X3 as a mic preamp, the XLR input of the X3 works well.

Did anyone manage to use that effect with an X3pro? Only one video is available online, showing an X3 played as a vocoder, but it's with a desktop model and doesn't show anything about settings or patching.

I wonder if my device is okay.. Just when I finaly found how to tweak a realistic guitar tone with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't used the Vocoder myself yet, but I don't think you have to use a Variax for it to work. I think I remember seeing someone say the Vocoder mix must be set at 100% though.

If I try it out I'll post what happened, I don't have a Variax.