Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Native - Can't record in Stereo

lim015313

Hi All,

Audio Interface: Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
DAW: Pro Tools

Pro Tools I/O, in the Input tab, all input are in stereo pairs (1&2, 3&4), in Output tab, all output are in stereo pairs (1&2, 3&4).

I created a mono track in Pro Tools, using Helix Native (Mono/Stereo) as insert. In Helix Native plugin, there is one meter bar (mono) in Input, two meter bar (stereo) in Output. All effects after cab block are stereo. When I play the guitar, there are signals on the two meter bar of the Output in Helix Native plugin.

But when I record, there is only one waveform recorded on the track. My thought is shouldn't there be two waveform (top and bottom) on the track since I am using the mono/stereo Helix Native plugin (which translate to mono input, stereo output)?

I also experiment by creating a stereo track in Pro Tools, using Helix Native (Stereo) as insert.
But when I record, there is only one waveform recorded on the top section of the track, nothing on the bottom section of the track.

Hope you guys can help :)

I replied to your thread over on the TGP, but I'll post it here because I think it's a worthwhile reminder.

When you record with Native, only the dry track is being recorded, so that will be a mono track for most people. The playback is in stereo, and the audio is being processed through Native in real-time whenever you play it back. If you want to render a stereo wet track from the dry track you can do that, but there's not really any reason to do that unless you're running short on resources.

Don't know how Pro Tools deals with mono vs stereo tracks, but in Logic you need to create a Stereo track, select the stereo HXN plugin, and then  all just works in stereo (as long as you don't have a mono block in your HXN chain, as @triryche mentions in the other thread).

What phil said. :)

17 hours ago, phil_m said:

If you want to render a stereo wet track from the dry track you can do that, but there's not really any reason to do that

Unless you want you final product to be stereo!! LOL  (JK)

15 minutes ago, Triryche said:

What phil said. :)

Unless you want you final product to be stereo!! LOL  (JK)

Well, yeah, but what I'm saying is that you don't really need to render separate wet tracks prior to doing a final mixdown. I almost think of my Native tracks as virtual instrument tracks. The actual audio output from them is always being processed in real time as everything is playing.

• Upvote 1

I have never really got my head around this either and been tinkering for months... 

Fr0sty.... I tried this earlier and yes it does give a stereo output with the both AMPS panned hard left and right.. But... there does seem to be a gtr still present in the centre of the stereo field. Perhaps it is supposed to be this way I don't know... but i would have thought that I would hear two guitars playing left and right and nothing in the centre?  

Am I missing something... Its easily done these days ;) 

When I use patches like this I pan the individual tracks in my daw (fl studio). First I have my dry guitar on channel 1, but route it to the track helix native is on (say track 4).  That allows me to monitor my guitar through native but record it dry on the input channel (ch1).  Once recorded I move that dry track to channel 2, where I pan the audio clip left as needed.  Sometime I pan hard or sometimes maybe 80% or so. Then I"ll record the next track and move the dry, recorded track to channel 3 where I pan it right and route it to channel 4 where helix is.  That way I track and pan all my rhythm guitars through one instance of helix (channel 4). Any lead tracks are recorded dry and routed to another channel with a different instance of helix native.

My guess is you still need to pan your recorded tracks. How you do that depends on  your daw.