Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hx effects 4cm master volume question

Prestonrmail

I am just starting to use 4cm with my hx effects. I connect everything correctly and put my dly ans vrb in the loop and drives up front (orange or15 is the amp). The problem I’m noticing, which may be because I’ve never done this before, is even with the volume all the way down on the master and preamp I still hear volume from the amp. Basically I cannot put the amp to a very low volume because of this. I also notice my preamp volume does not drive up the master volume at all is this how it should behave? I’m open to all suggestions. I’m not claiming to be an expert at 4cm at all. Helix systems are awesome. 

You need to insert an FX Loop block in your preset on the HX Effects. The FX Loop block should be between your pre and post effects. Without it, you're bypassing your amp's preamp and going straight into the effects return. This is why the controls don't work.

7 minutes ago, Prestonrmail said:

@phil_mi had one send and one return block inserted. is this essentially the same thing? it was right before my dly unit after my last overdrive block.

You're better off using one FX Loop block. On the Send block, there's a Dry Thru parameter, and its default value is 50%. What that means is that equal amount of the signal going into the Send block are being sent to the 1/4" send jack and through to the next block. So you have signal going straight through into the Return block in you case. That's why you're still hearing signal with your amp controls down. If you set the Dry Thru parameter to 0, you wouldn't hear that. But, really, don't use two separate blocks. Just use one FX Loop block. There's no reason to waste an additional block.

5 minutes ago, phil_m said:

You're better off using one FX Loop block. On the Send block, there's a Dry Thru parameter, and its default value is 50%. What that means is that equal amount of the signal going into the Send block are being sent to the 1/4" send jack and through to the next block. So you have signal going straight through into the Return block in you case. That's why you're still hearing signal with your amp controls down. If you set the Dry Thru parameter to 0, you wouldn't hear that. But, really, don't use two separate blocks. Just use one FX Loop block. There's no reason to waste an additional block.

this makes sense and when i get home ill try it. sounds like its the solution to my problem though. thank you so much!

• 4 months later...

I am having the same issue and can't make any sense of all these forums. I have a Mesa Mark 5 35 combo. When I do the 4 CM I lose all Volume control. None of the nobs on the amp do anything. This seems stupid. I want to use the system as if it where all small pedals.

1. Distortion , compression and any other cool effect running up into the Mesa Pre Amp.

2. Then I want to send all Chours and Delay and Tremolo effects to the FX loop. 

This how I ran pedals prior to getting this board and can't figure out why the darn thing is so complicated to get to work that. Do you have to add send/return blocks? Is this What path A is verse Path B. You would think this came with instructions.

Forgive my typos.

Just now, jasonawilson1 said:

I did not have a flash drive. I will call my store and see what happened.

Ok so they have a small bag with the missing cable in it not sure if that has a usb drive. It was taken out during demo and they held it for me. I added teh FX block and fixed this issue and found a 12db boost issue instead.

4 hours ago, gbr13697 said:

It does come with instructions.  Manuals, in several languages, on a USB flashdrive included in the pack.

Only the Helix, LT and Rack come with the USB stick from what I recall. I don’t believe the Stomp and HX Effects do...