Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line6 Relay G10 transmitter connections

colincalver

Call for help!  How can I successfully use the Relay G10 transmitter in my guitar.?

The guitar has a mono 6.5mm ( ¼" ) socket - but the G10 has a ¼" 'stereo' jack. 

When the G10 is connected to the guitar there is no sound.  However when the G10 is connected to a newer (Taylor) guitar it works perfectly.

I have seen a suggestion to use a mono to mono (TS to TS) ¼ to ¼ adaptor - but this does not make sense to me; and I cannot find a suitable adaptor to buy 1

Can anyone suggest how I can successfully and safely connect the 'stereo jack' on the G10 to a 'mono socket' on my guitar so that the G10 works? 

that is - what are the correct wiring connections needed?  

Is the G10 jack a true 'stereo' connection (wiring) or is the 'ring' on the jack plug used for some other purpose?

[ I would have thought that the jack plug (for a guitar) is only mono, so I do not know what is the purpose of the ' ring' on the jack plug.

Can the ' ring ' connection be: ignored; or bypassed; or bridged to the ' tip '?

Cheers Colin

The TRS plug on the G10 does not mean that it's designed to receive or supply a stereo signal. It is designed to work with standard 1/4" TS (2-conductor) output jacks that are found on almost all conventional magnetic pickup guitars. It also works with many guitars with active electronics and preamps, but there are some documented cases of incompatibility.

I believe there's a section in the user manual that mentions this, and maybe a thread on the forum or an FAQ that also addresses the issue.

My sincere thanks to you (cbrillow) for you advice / clarification.  I suspected that the wiring would not be stereo (for a guitar application), but I have no idea why a Sleve, ring, tip configuration ¼" plug would be used. I do not wish to damage any electronics by making a wrong connection. 

I recently inherited responsibility for the G10 Relay at my church, but (unfortunately) without the user manual.  My guitar must be one of the incompatible cases (other instruments work correctly).

I could not find a thread on the forum of a FAQ solution.  I will endeavour to find a user manual.

regards    Colin 

12 hours ago, colincalver said:

My sincere thanks to you (cbrillow) for you advice / clarification.  I suspected that the wiring would not be stereo (for a guitar application), but I have no idea why a Sleve, ring, tip configuration ¼" plug would be used. I do not wish to damage any electronics by making a wrong connection. 

I recently inherited responsibility for the G10 Relay at my church, but (unfortunately) without the user manual.  My guitar must be one of the incompatible cases (other instruments work correctly).

I could not find a thread on the forum of a FAQ solution.  I will endeavour to find a user manual.

regards    Colin 

The TRS plug is used on the G10 so it an charge when plugged into the receiver, as cbrillow mentioned it dos not send or receive a stereo signal. What is the guitar you are using that is not working with your G10? Here is a link to the manual
https://line6.com/support/manuals/relayg10/

Thank you to the support team for explaining the purpose of the "ring" on the ¼" plug on the G10.  

Your comments clarifies everything for  me.   Before I received your advice, I had already decided to build an adaptor to address the problem.  

My "work-around" solution (which works perfectly) is to use a "stereo" ¼" female socket that is connected to a male ¼" plug using mono shielded cable.

I connected the respective tip to tip connectors and the sleeve to sleeves.  Using a "stereo" female socket ensures that the [shorter] earth internal connector / contact arm touches only the earth sleeve part on the G10 (and does not make any contact with the "ring" - being the recharging contact) so the internal electronics / charging of the G10 are not activated.  This adaptor then gives a standard mono guitar lead circuit. (without interfering with /activating the charging "ring" on the G10). Problem solved!  

cbarillow (iknowathingortow)  - you may like to add this to your list of known things.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1