Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is it possible to use the Helix for mic mute?

jaanoest

Hi, I was looking for good pedals and came over the helix multi effect board and I have to say, I am in love with it!! I don't have it yet, but I am in the process to get it. But I have one major question. In my band I am the MD (Music Director) which means I use talkback to talk to my fellow musicians when we perform. I would really like to have a mic mute pedal to mute the microphone when I'm not talking, and that I can just press it when I feel to talk. So therefore mye question is: Does the Helix multieffect board have a feature like this? or do I need an external pedal to do this? It would be TOP NOTCH if the Helix had it ;) 

Depends on your setup. If the mic you are talking about is connected to the Mic input on Helix and you are planning to dedicate one of the Helix paths for this purpose then yes, you can arrange the preset so that a footswitch or the onboard pedal can control the mic channel volume, essentially muting it by dynamically setting the volume to a zero level. You would have to do this on each Helix preset - there's no global setting for this.

Do you want to talk just to the band (without the audience hearing you)? If so that's a different issue and I'm not sure Helix has a solution for that because I've never experimented with that requirement. Perhaps others have a solution for that using Helix.

12 hours ago, silverhead said:

Do you want to talk just to the band (without the audience hearing you)? If so that's a different issue and I'm not sure Helix has a solution for that because I've never experimented with that requirement. Perhaps others have a solution for that using Helix.

I would think you could route the mic output to 1/4" outs and everything else to xlr or vice versa.

@jaanoest, if you're directing and not playing anything, then I would think Helix would be extreme overkill for this application.

Helix's Tuner feature when activated is a quick way to mute the signal output (in default configuration). If you are using the Helix Floor or Rack's Mic XLR Input on it's own signal path, the Tuner button may not mute the Mic Input's dedicated signal path. Never tried it. It's worth giving it a quick try.