Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Native - what pair of monitors to use?

l_sap120394

Hi guys!

Yestarday, I finally  gave it a real try and uploaded some of my Helix, Helix LT presets to the app....and I must say, I got impressed. I didn't think it was going to sound as good as it was before...even with headphones.

Now what I need to ask you guys: what pair of monitors can I use to have some more "volume" in the room?

I am not a pro, don't play for a living, just like to record some stuff and upload to youtube sometimes...

So, what monitor could I use? Any recommendation? 

Thanks a lot guys!

1 hour ago, l_sap120394 said:

Hi guys!

Yestarday, I finally  gave it a real try and uploaded some of my Helix, Helix LT presets to the app....and I must say, I got impressed. I didn't think it was going to sound as good as it was before...even with headphones.

Now what I need to ask you guys: what pair of monitors can I use to have some more "volume" in the room?

I am not a pro, don't play for a living, just like to record some stuff and upload to youtube sometimes...

So, what monitor could I use? Any recommendation? 

Thanks a lot guys!

Hi I_sap120394,

You're not the first, and certainly won't be the last to ask this question.

As usual it 's a fairly opened ended query, because you state that you are considering using studio monitors to use with Helix Native and your Helix LT, but you don't expand on that. It would be a big help to know what sort of price range and size (4'' to10"?) you are able to look at. Furthermore, would you need to purchase powered monitors or do you already have amplification for you studio/DAW. I'm asking that because you say you already upload stuff to YouTube occasionally so, you must be using something already - or is that just using headphones?

The thing is, on this forum everyone will have a different opinion and only you can decide. Just have a search through here and see what you turn up about suggestions for monitors, and headphones. A hundred different answers, and it's even more complex when you check the Helix groups on FarceBook and TGP. It's can of worms so get ready for the recommendations.

Here's a starting point:

Under $200 Monitors

Good luck.

Hey datacommando, how are you man?

Well, I used to record through USB using my Helix, my Helix LT and my old Axe FX II.

Now, with only HX Effects, I connect my vox amplug in the L out and straight to my audio interface then  to Reaper. As simple as that.

Now, answering the questions, I would like to have some powered monitors with maybe 8' or 10' (just a matter of taste, but if there is a good one with small sub, it's ok). Don't really like the small speaker's sound. For the price, don't want t spend more than $22-250... I heard goos reviews on Alto speakers, but not very known here in Brazil.

Thanks a lot!

I use the Event BAS 20/20v3 studio monitors with 7.1 inch woofer. They are loud, so loud I set the signal of the XLR outputs on the Helix to "mic" level.  I like them, but I will eventually upgrade from them, and I plan on keeping these Events as my second monitor set. These were about $350-$400 for each monitor. I don't know if you can even get them new anymore.

The set I am eyeing to upgrade to are the Presonus Sceptre 6.5 inch set with the Presonus Temblor 10inch sub. However, it will be a few years before I pull the trigger, and my choice may change by then.

If price weren't an issue, I would grab me a set of Amphions. :)

19 hours ago, l_sap120394 said:

Hey datacommando, how are you man?

Well, I used to record through USB using my Helix, my Helix LT and my old Axe FX II.

Now, with only HX Effects, I connect my vox amplug in the L out and straight to my audio interface then  to Reaper. As simple as that.

Now, answering the questions, I would like to have some powered monitors with maybe 8' or 10' (just a matter of taste, but if there is a good one with small sub, it's ok). Don't really like the small speaker's sound. For the price, don't want t spend more than $22-250... I heard goos reviews on Alto speakers, but not very known here in Brazil.

Thanks a lot!

Hi again,

I’m not sure how prices are in Brazil compared with other parts of the world, but I imagine that 8 or 10 inch pro audio powered monitors may be quite a bit higher than your budget will allow. Here in Europe your $250 would possibly buy a single 8 inch monitor. I would suggest that you check out any good brand that are on sale at lower than normal prices, especially if they are older models that have been superseded by new units. 

Look out for deals on Yamaha HS8, as they seem to get constantly good reviews - they also do a seven inch version that could save you some money. Other brands to check are JBL, Tannoy, Mackie, KRK Rokit, PreSonus plus all the other usual suspects. The other option is that you will just have to save enough for what you want.

I said it was a can of worms!

Good luck.