Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Factory Preset Bundle

bobcoss

Hi,

I bought a used Helix Floor, and it came with the 2.60 firmware and some IR's and Sample Presets that use them.  I would like to do a reset of the unit to make sure that the Factory presets for firmware version 2.60 are installed, but don't want to loose the IR's and other sample presets.

First, are the factory presets updated with firmware releases?

Is there a way besides "backup" to save a copy of the IRs so they get loaded into their original locations if I do a full factory reset?

Thank you in advance for your support.

Bob

On 7/30/2018 at 7:10 PM, bobcoss said:

Hi,

I bought a used Helix Floor, and it came with the 2.60 firmware and some IR's and Sample Presets that use them.  I would like to do a reset of the unit to make sure that the Factory presets for firmware version 2.60 are installed, but don't want to loose the IR's and other sample presets.

First, are the factory presets updated with firmware releases?

Is there a way besides "backup" to save a copy of the IRs so they get loaded into their original locations if I do a full factory reset?

Thank you in advance for your support.

Bob

Yes, sometimes but not always there are new Factory presets or modifications are made to old ones. If you have any presets in your current Factory setlists you want to save you should export them individually with the editor as you stated your objective is to load all the latest Factory presets. You can also save your old Factory presets as setlists.

Make sure you have the 2.6 version of  HX Edit loaded on your PC. Go to "File" in the HX Edit menu and do a "Create Backup". This will backup all of your global settings, IRs and presets. Btw, probably a good idea to back up the IRs individually as well, just highlight them all in the editor and export. I might also backup any of those "sample presets" you mentioned that you want to be sure are retained. Never hurts to have multiple and redundant backups.

Doing a global reset (e.g. footswitches 9&10 on a Helix with a restart) restores the factory presets for the version of firmware currently loaded on your Helix. When you do a "Restore From Backup" (also in the "File" menu) if you expand the little arrow to the left of the "Presets" entry in the restore screen you can uncheck the two Factory setlists. This will prevent the restore process from overwriting the latest Factory presets with the ones you saved but still allow you to restore your User setlists. Your IRs will also be restored to their previous locations. After the restore process completes restart your Helix one last time and you will see your presets go through a final rebuild process automatically.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, brue58ski said:

Anyone if there were any new factory patches in 2.60?

I was wondering the same thing but since the OP purchased his Helix used there is no telling how many previous firmware updates were done and hence what version of the factory presets are on his device so I provided the above method for making sure he had the latest.

I posted this on the Helix page in Facebook a few weeks ago.  It is a procedure to do a factory reset and choose what to restore from the backup.  There are a couple of new factory presets for 2.60.

Many of you may already know this, but some of you may not be aware that the current update process automatically restores your Helix with all of your presets including the Factory1, Factory2 and Template sets. For many this is fine, but the drawback is that there are often new Factory presets released with the major updates that are based on the new features included in the update. These are over written and therefore not available for those who may want to try them out or use them to create new presets. For this 2.60 update there are new presets for the 2 new amps for example.

Here is my work around for this. Be aware that this procedure will overwrite any changes you have made to the Factory presets.

Important: Make sure you have a full and up to date backup before you start this procedure!!! If your not sure, do one first. Create Backup under the File menu.

1.Update your Helix following the standard procedure.
2.Turn off the Helix
3.Turn on the Helix holding down footswitches 9 & 10 on the Floor/LT, encoders 5 & 6 on the Rack. Hold these down until you see the factory presets start to load. This will restore the Factory presets, templates, global settings and IRs.
4. Launch HX Edit and do a “Restore From Backup” from the File menu.
5. On the Restore From Backup popup expand Presets and deselect FACTORY1, FACTORY2. You may also wish to deselect TEMPLATES if you have not created any custom templates (see attached image).

Once the restore is complete, I like to reboot one more time.

dddsd.jpg