Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

pod HD500x in front of an amp (no effects loop)

DanielVH

Does anyone have any experience running the pod HD500x in front of an amp, I understand that the 4 cable method is preferred (or an FRFR) but my current amp does not have an effects loop. 

I'm interested in the pod HD500x for direct recording and silent practice (headphones), but I was wondering if the pod HD500x would also be good in front of an amp (as a multiFX unit).

The main issue with changing any sound source is going to be tone. 

There is no problem using it this way or that way or the other way. 

You simply will sound different each way. 

This can be a problem when designing tones because what sounds good here doesn't sound good there. 

I used the POD HD500 in front of my amp, for wahwah, compression, chorus, boost....

It is possible, but you have to get the levels right. I used it with these settings:

studio direct, all FX in path A, mixer at 0 db, pan in the middle, path B muted, master volume at 100%.

It also is a very flexible midi-controller, if your amp can handle midi.

Sure you could use it for FX such as Distortion, Compression, Noise Gate, etc in front of the amp.  Set it to Studio Direct out and pay attention to levels.  You may even get some of the Pre Amp Models to work fairly good too.  But that will take some tweaking.