Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV-69 What to watch out for when buying used?

What are some things to watch out for when buying a used JTV-69 from a private seller? I understand that I would need to cycle through all the on-board options through an amp. Besides the usual neck shape, fret buzz, dead notes, anything else I should be aware of?

Is the "plink" problem noticeable unplugged?

What accessories should come with the purchase? Gig bag, battery/charger, VDI cable??

Are older models on par with new models?

Accessories should include gig bag, battery/charger, usb interface device/cables (different from a VDI cable which is not included), and a set of Allen keys that fit various screws/adjustments.

The plink issue will not be noticeable unplugged; it involves the piezos and modeling which requires power. It's a very rare issue I think but in some cases very disturbing. Chances are high that you won't see it. I would also visually inspect the VDI connector for damage. The pins are visible and should be straight; look for bent pins. This is normally fixable but it's better not to have to.

The quality of the modeling (new vs. old) is highly subjective. Some people have never updated to v2 modeling because they prefer the older models. Others rave about the new vs the old. in my opinion they're all good - just different.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this is too late to be of help to you. But the most common problem you might run into is the model knob not functioning because the original knobs were built faulty and didn't push the shaft down far enough. It can be an easy fix by putting some small piece of cardboard inside the knob and then reattaching it onto the shaft. That's what I did, and I haven't had to mess with it since.