Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Another stupid snapshot question

dandesy

This is something I could try, but I figured I’d ask you awesome helixers.

In the 4 stomp/4 snaps mode, can I assign different stompbox to a given footswitch per snapshot?

For instance (super simplified) can i assign the first stompbox switch to an ID in snap 1, and the same to a delay in snap 2?

Thanks in advance.

I think you may be confused about what snapshots actually are given your questions.  Snapshots are not a replacement for presets, or some form of "super" preset.  It's simply a way of managing a preset so you can easily get different views or pictures of that preset.  The preset is still there as the foundation and all the rules for presets still apply.  If you can't change a block from one thing to another thing in a preset without editing it, you can't do it in a snapshot either.

I absolutely understand that.  But since you can change what effects are active between snapshots, I thought maybe you could also change their FS assignment. 

As in, I’d like different stomboxes to be expose on the footswitches on different snapshots. Obviously, those foorswitches are all in the same presets. 

His request definitely has use cases.  For example, let's say I have 4 snaps: Clean, Crunch, Lead, and... some other one I'm not going to bother thinking of.  After switching to my Clean snapshot, I'd want my stomps for effects I'd usually use to enhance my clean sound, such as a compressor, chorus, tremolo, and maybe a phaser.  Switching to Crunch, I'd maybe want stomps for a boost, layering a fuzz, perhaps a flanger.  Moving to Lead, I'd maybe look for a delay, a pitch shifter or harmonizer, octave fuzz, treble booster, etc.

You could argue that if I need that level of granularity a preset would be better suited, or that a preset as overloaded as that would be pushing the limits of the DSP, or that if you need the speed of snapshots to make more than 8 tonal shifts mid-song you're insane,...

Actually, those are decent arguments.  Carry on. :D

30 minutes ago, sparkyERTW said:

His request definitely has use cases.  For example, let's say I have 4 snaps: Clean, Crunch, Lead, and... some other one I'm not going to bother thinking of.  After switching to my Clean snapshot, I'd want my stomps for effects I'd usually use to enhance my clean sound, such as a compressor, chorus, tremolo, and maybe a phaser.  Switching to Crunch, I'd maybe want stomps for a boost, layering a fuzz, perhaps a flanger.  Moving to Lead, I'd maybe look for a delay, a pitch shifter or harmonizer, octave fuzz, treble booster, etc.

You could argue that if I need that level of granularity a preset would be better suited, or that a preset as overloaded as that would be pushing the limits of the DSP, or that if you need the speed of snapshots to make more than 8 tonal shifts mid-song you're insane,...

Exactly...!! People have to remember the reason for snapshots in the first place is to avoid the overhead that comes with unloading and re-loading blocks when switching presets which takes a moment to complete.  So the idea is to be able to only endure that loading process once and be able to have a variety of configurations within that preset with no overhead delay.  Once you begin modifying that model and start allowing loading and unloading of blocks within a preset you're right back to introducing the delays involved with switching presets which makes nobody happy.

32 minutes ago, sparkyERTW said:

Precisely!  Insanity and all 

And just to clarify, this is not a “request”. I don’t currently use snapshots, but as I try to streamline my setup, this is one question that popped up. 

I can definitely see cards where I have a few snapshots (clean/dirty for instance) and more than four effects I might want to toggle on and off manually, where some would apply more to one snapshot than others.

there are many ways to know the cat; I was curious is this case was possible.