Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tips for smoothing out Reverb tails

JeremiahEdward

Hello. First off, I love the helix and it's new verbs (i'm on the 2.6 update). I play ambient/washy/spacy/post rock(y) music with a LOT of reverb. While i do really like the new verbs a lot, I have noticed that when they are cranked (~8.5 +) they tail can be a little choppy and harsh. I like reverb that hangs like a thick blooming mist in the air and slowly/smoothly decays. Is there a way to do this with the new verbs? It's almost as though you can hear individual "waves" of reverberation. I've been spoiled by Strymon and Eventide verbs that work as I "expect" out of the box. That being said, the Strmyon sound is getting on my nerves due to the fact that every ambient band out there is using it. It's instantly recognizable.  So if I can get the Helix verbs to decay as smoothly as the Strymon units do but still have their own Helix(y) character, I will be in heaven. 

Thanks!

While the new Reverbs in 2.6 are an improvement over the original release they are still not in the same league as Strymon.  Maybe one day L6 will have verbs that are very similar to Strymon.....I would like to see that, too!  But for now.....you'll either need to add your Strymon pedal to the effects loop or just use what the Helix offers.

22 hours ago, zachhodges said:

if you put reverb on it's own row with an A/B split, you can stack reverbs and even modulations and get really nice results. The stacked reverbs have nicer tails to me, i think they smooth each other out.

To expand on this A/B split, A being your dry path (as far as reverb is concerned) and B your reverb path, try reverb 1 -> chorus -> delay -> reverb 2.  The A/B split becomes your reverb mix control and the first block in the B path should have 100% mix.

I like:

Split: A50%

Cave Reverb (100% mix)

Trinity Chorus (default settings)

Vintage Delay (default settings)

Hall Reverb (settings to taste)

This is an example: https://line6.com/customtone/tone/3735301/

• 5 months later...
On 8/7/2018 at 12:52 PM, RD1967 said:

While the new Reverbs in 2.6 are an improvement over the original release they are still not in the same league as Strymon.  Maybe one day L6 will have verbs that are very similar to Strymon.....I would like to see that, too!  But for now.....you'll either need to add your Strymon pedal to the effects loop or just use what the Helix offers.

I feel that for the price they should sound better than a $100.00 multi effects pedal. My zoom g7 had an awesome sounding reverb. Although I know the helix is different and tweeking it takes some serious getting use to.

Well Strymon's reverbs are coming in "one box" but that does not mean that there are just reverbs without other effects or modulations used. So placing just one reverb block to your signal chain in helix won't give you the same results.

Like mentioned above, splitting the signal to A-B path is a good idea. Modulating further your reverb is another good tip, use chorus, univibe, delays and high cuts with it, that'll help you to separate the wet from the dry tone.

Here's my take on the topic:

https://line6.com/customtone/profile/funkyou86

Also, never underestimate the power of the mix to wash out any "trailing-off" effects!

When I first unboxed the Strymon Big Sky, "man, this is just too much!" Really wanted to dial a lot of it back.

But the rest of the band loved it, and the mix really took care of it anyway.