Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects - Two inputs PRS P245

bshaw92

I have a PRS P245 that I would like to use through the HX to reduce the additional pieces I currently use. The setup would be to go into my amp with the electric and use the Fx Loop back into the HX - Easy. (FYI - I then go out of the amp into a loadbox and into an IR to FOH. If the HX could be setup to also allow that line out back into the HX then out to FOH that would add more icing to the cake). Simultaneously I would run the piezo side into the HX using an eq and an acoustic IR then out to the FOH. I would use both at the same time and switch back and forth many times. Anyone with a similar setup that can provide a "best way" or at least confirm that this can be done? I can't use the edit software with the HX and I don't have the HX until the end of the week. Pre planning the setup to expedite the process.

I  don't have a HX Effects, but I use a P245 through a Helix.  I go into the Helix via 2 separate guitar cables, one to the Guitar input and the other into Aux.  The inputs then go through 2 separate signal paths in the Helix, with whatever effects I want to use on the magnetic and piezo pickups respectively.  The magnetic/electric path goes to my Blackstar Artist valve amp using the 4 cable method.  The piezo goes out through XLR to an acoustic amp.  The micro switch on the P245 allows me to switch between magnetic, piezo, or both, and there are separate volume controls on the guitar (as well as having the coil split available).  The P245 is a very versatile guitar!  

I could also mix and blend the signals within the Helix, but I haven't yet found a need for any more options!

I had a quick look at the YouTube demos.  The HX can certainly do parallel paths, but I couldn't get a clear idea of how the input/output routing works.  I can see little point in having 2 inputs, parallel paths, and 2 outputs, if you can't route them separately with different effects.  My assumption must me that you can do something pretty similar to what I do in the Helix. My Blackstar has an emulated output, and the acoustic amp has a Line Out, so I could send to FOH via the amps, but the XLR could just as easily go straight there with an IR and without the acoustic amp. With the Helix I could obviously use an emulated amp and IR for the electric/magnetic path, but I prefer to use a real amp.

The Helix came with the usual 2 banks of Factory Presets, but also with another bank called Templates.  This included some useful templates for Wet/Dry, 4 cable method, 7 cable method, Stereo, super serial, etc.  If there is something similar in the HX, it may include a good starting point for what you need.  It would be worth checking before you start from scratch.

So after looking at routing options without playing with software I plan to try the following:

Guitar - Electric > Input (L/Mono) > Send 1 > Amp Input > Speaker cable to Loadbox > (IR on HX) Line out of LB to HX Return 1 > Output (L/mono) to DI > FOH

and

Guitar - Piezo > Input (Right) > (IR on Hx) > Output (Right) to DI > FOH

Do the paths allow this or would something else need to happen?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok here is a preset I'm working on. I can get sound from both but not correct.

Setup is this:

Electric into input (left) > Fx Send 1 into Amp input > Two Notes Captor line out into Fx Return 1 > Output (left) > into Cab Sim to FOH

Acoustic into input (right) > Output (right) > into XLR/FOH

Tried split Y and split A/B both

Getting close but not working. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated...

2 Guitar.hlx

Ok this is what I got to work. Pulled the output down and going out send. If I had two more spots for the wah and another IR out for the electric I would have everything in one box and remove one more piece from the group. Seems to work. If you try it let me know if you would accomplish the same thing in another way. I'd like to go up and catch the looper with the acoustic but couldn't figure out how so saved it and moved on.

2 Guitar.hlx

I didn't look at your preset file, but I've done a fair amount of parallel processing by using the "Split A/B" function at the front of my HXFX processing chain, and a "Mixer" function at the end. So you end up with two separate mono paths (A and B), with the outputs going out of the main L and R output. (Instead of the mixer going to the L/R main outs, you can also split the outputs so they go out the sends, but I don't do that.) You have to hard pan the mixer hard L on one path, and hard R on the other, and you can mix the levels as needed.

I put whatever FX blocks I need in each path, and I usually am using one path A for acoustic guitar with an IR at the front of the path. I often place a send/return in each path at appropriate spots, to go through a dual mono looper.

14 hours ago, soundog said:

the "Split A/B" function at the front of my HXFX processing chain, and a "Mixer" function at the end. So you end up with two separate mono paths (A and B), with the outputs going out of the main L and R output. (Instead of the mixer going to the L/R main outs, you can also split the outputs so they go out the sends, but I don't do that.) You have to hard pan the mixer hard L on one path, and hard R on the other, and you can mix the levels as needed.

I would love for that to work - See my first file - It would allow a looper for either electric or acoustic, but I couldn't get them to separate correctly. If you (or anyone...) can look at either and see it would be great.

I’ll call your inputs GitL and GitR. Split Y sends GitL to Path A only, and GitR to Path B only. At the end of the paths, Git 1 is panned to go out the L Main Out only. Path B Mixer is panned to go out the “Left” Send, so Send 1 only. Not sure what you are ending up with the way you have it set up, I just looked at it and don't have time now to connect guitars and PA.

Take a look at my attached Night Train 2 preset. Split Y splits the L and R mono inputs to Path A and B. I have various effects one each path, including an FX Loop on each path (for external mono loopers connected to my Send/Return 1 and 2)). The Mixer at the end is configured to send my L input out the L output, and the R output out the R output. You can use a MIDI controller or audio mixer to mix the output levels of Path A and B. Is that sort of what you're trying to achieve?

NIGHT TRAIN 2.hlx

10 hours ago, soundog said:

I’ll call your inputs GitL and GitR. Split Y sends GitL to Path A only, and GitR to Path B only. At the end of the paths, Git 1 is panned to go out the L Main Out only. Path B Mixer is panned to go out the “Left” Send, so Send 1 only.

Yes, I understand this and have tried (see first file). I don't know if the right output is not working??

I will try your file. The only thing I can get to work is my second file which is sending the B output via Send. This works as I'd like the setup to work......however, if I can get the original file to work which matches your description above I can have both acoustic and electric in the looper which is handy. Right now I have moved it down to the acoustic side only.

Hmmmm... if you mean using the HXFX looper to loop both acoustic and electric paths at the same time, that's another matter (I'm using external loopers via the FX Loop send/returns). Not sure if you can modify the preset to loop both paths at the same time. But you could certainly use the HXFX looper on either path. Or, there may be another preset that would work. Play around with my patch and see what you come up with for your needs.

maybe the preset was corrupt because when I brought yours in it worked. My settings were identical in the mixer and input. I removed your effects and brought mine over and saved it. I will save these and reset to factory as likely other presets are corrupt as well.