Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Making up for the lack of a Trem?

Sigher

I just picked up a Shuriken and I'm loving it but I miss not having any sort of Trem to smoothly alter the pitch of the strings. I remember seeing a video where someone from Line6 used the Tone Knob to shift the pitch up, but I think this was in conjunction with a Helix pedalboard and I don't know if you can just set the Tone Knob to do that on the guitar by itself. If this isn't possible, I guess I'm stuck with a foot pedal or something to get the same effect?

22 minutes ago, Sigher said:

I just picked up a Shuriken and I'm loving it but I miss not having any sort of Trem to smoothly alter the pitch of the strings. I remember seeing a video where someone from Line6 used the Tone Knob to shift the pitch up, but I think this was in conjunction with a Helix pedalboard and I don't know if you can just set the Tone Knob to do that on the guitar by itself. If this isn't possible, I guess I'm stuck with a foot pedal or something to get the same effect?

No, there's no "whammy pedal" type pitch shifting native to the guitar. The alt tuning functions in a Variax are all fixed intervals. 

6 hours ago, Sigher said:

Would such a thing be possible with a firmware update/and update for Workbench HD? Would this be something worth submitting to IdeaScale?

I suppose anything is theoretically possible, but I seriously doubt the existing hardware would support it. The Variax platform is complicated enough as it is... adding onboard FX typically reserved for individual pedals or multi-fx units is just something else that can fail. These guitars are weird already.... personally, I wouldn't want them stuffing digital FX in there. Get a whammy pedal....