Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DT 50 + POD HD500X- can't get same tube sound as direct into the amp without noise

ttolsontrader

I am using a POD HD 500X and a DT50 Head. I had tried the POD alone, but was dissatisfied with the "modeled" amp tones (I've always used a Mesa Boogie Rectifier, and am partial to a real "tube" tone. That's why I purchased the DT. I plugged directly into the DT, and using topology 4, was able to get an awesome heavy tone. Chunky. Tight. Very little noise. Awesome. So I set up the POD HD500X using the L6 link. Starting with a new (empty) patch, I tried to recreate that same sound I got by plugging directly into the DT. It seems that my choices are:

1) to use the Angel F-Ball model (using channel A), or

2) to use no amp model, which sends it to channel B.

BOTH are unsatisfactory. (1) Using the model, it doesn't have the same warmth and clarity as if I'd plugged directly into the tube amp. And its VERY noisy!! (2) Using channel B, I need to turn up the output of the HD 500 all the way to get the same gain as if I'd plugged straight into the head. Or turn up the mixer in the HD signal chain all the way. This method is also very noisy. And in this way, I'd be limited to just one tone...whatever I have channel B set to. And woud also have no way to boost for leads.

To make sure it wasn't my imagination, I have tested both ways, back and forth. I plugged into the DT directly - sounds amazing, crunchy, and no noise. I plug into the POD HD500X connected to the DT via L6 - noisy and mediocre tone.

I bought the two so I could have a nice tube sound, but also be able to change between tolologies/gain amounts/effects configurations all in one click of the pedal. What do I need to do differently to get the same great tube sound I get from plugging directly into the DT, only using the POD, using the POD to change topologies,  effects, etc?

Thanks,

Tim

My DT50 had a lot of white noise when I got it 8 years back or so...I installed Mesa SPAX7s and was sanctioned by Line 6 engineers before doing so. Seems opinions have changed based on non linear data :-)..Still working great and still not noisy. The EH 12AX7s totally suck and are very noisy. I have taken those out of a lot of gear...Good luck.

This comes up again and again. I use the POD HD 500X with the L6 link into either my DT25 or my DT50 depending on the size of the venue.

I play a large variety of styles/ genres and need the flexibility of this set up. I have used this set up for 4 years with fantastic results. Here is what I do/ do not do.

1. I only use ONLY pre-amp models with no cab simulated and I usually prefer sm57 off axis.

2. I keep the master on the DT at 60% or above to work the tubes. My volume I adjust with either the channel of the individual patch(this keeps all patches at relatively the same volume) or the master on the POD HD 500x.(This regulates overall volume).

3. L6 link out of the POD 500X into the L6 link in on the DT.

I get great amp sounds on all 4 voicings although I will admit I'm more of a Fender and Marshall man than Mesa Boogie Rectifier.

7 hours ago, seldon1 said:

This comes up again and again. I use the POD HD 500X with the L6 link into either my DT25 or my DT50 depending on the size of the venue.

I play a large variety of styles/ genres and need the flexibility of this set up. I have used this set up for 4 years with fantastic results. Here is what I do/ do not do.

1. I only use ONLY pre-amp models with no cab simulated and I usually prefer sm57 off axis.

2. I keep the master on the DT at 60% or above to work the tubes. My volume I adjust with either the channel of the individual patch(this keeps all patches at relatively the same volume) or the master on the POD HD 500x.(This regulates overall volume).

3. L6 link out of the POD 500X into the L6 link in on the DT.

I get great amp sounds on all 4 voicings although I will admit I'm more of a Fender and Marshall man than Mesa Boogie Rectifier.

Seldon - what fo you mean when you say "I use ONLY preamp models with no cab simulated?" Don't all of the preamp of models have cabinet simulators? Is it possible to turn the cabinet simulator off?

To be clear, you're saying that you DO use the modeling (channel A, NOT channrl B, which it goes to if you don't choose a model), correct?

So far, this sounds like great advice. Thank you for your help already.