Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using Helix/HX Edit via USB to Thunderbolt adapter

wilkinsi

I am trying to configure my setup so I can permanently have my Helix connected via USB in order to use HX Edit. I have already tried connecting Helix via USB hub, and that causes loss of communication. Since my external 1TB USB 3.0 SSD is not a standard size, I cannot just put it in a Thunderbolt enclosure or even my Macbook. The alternative is get a USB to Thunderbolt adapter. Does anyone here use their Helix via a USB to Thunderbolt adapter, or tried it? I'm asking because the only adapter I can find is by Startech and costs around £100.

Can't help you with a cheaper adapter, but I'm assuming that if your Macbook had at least 2 USB ports, you should be able to do the following:

Connect Helix directly to one USB port, and use the hub for everything else via the other. I've got everything connected that way,  including my external backup drive... works fine,  and no communication issues as long as Helix is plugged in directly. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2018 at 3:11 AM, VirtualGuitars said:

2016 is when Apple transitioned the MacBook Pro line to USB-C, so the 2017 and 2018 models have the same ports.

I was already aware of this, but only recently became aware Apple have not only soldered the SSD to the mainboard (to stop users upgrading without buying a whole new machine. I drew the same conclusion when they started soldering on the RAM) and ommitted the access port next to the SSD too (no doubt to prevent users from rescuing their data). I guess this is Apple's way of quite simply saying "Because F**K you" like your pet would say after soiling your freshly laid uber expensive carpet. I think even if I were to buy a new Macbook Pro, I would still keep this 2015 13" model as a backup machine and access point for HX Edit, whilst the new one handles my DAW, plugins and any other CPU-heavy stuff. 

I believe these design changes were to reduce size and weight, and improve reliability. USB-C provides two way power, high speed two-sided cable. Its unfortunate these design decisions have some drawbacks, but overall, these are reasonable choices.

• 3 months later...

I'm going to post this in as many relevant places as possible hoping someone will shed some light on it sooner rather than later.  

I have a MacBook Pro (2016) with the USB-C / Thunderbolt 3 ports.  I can only get my Helix to connect every now and then (and it will only stay connected for a couple minutes before the connection is lost).  I think it helps a little when I reset the PRAM and SMC, but I might be making that up.  There doesn't seem to be any correlation between how many applications I have running and how long Helix will stay connected, but I've heard that causing issues for some.  I HAVE tried a USB (peripheral) to USB-C cable - as well as using the cable which came with the Helix and a USB -> USB-C adapter.  Neither option helps Helix remain connected, and neither one seems better than the other

Typical Example: Today, I got Helix to connect for about 10 minutes.  I was playing my P-bass (passive) into the Helix, connected to the computer.  Nothing in the loops.  Just using the headphone Jack out of Helix for monitoring.  I had my DAW open, HX Edit, and Safari.  When the connection was lost, I heard a *Pop, or *Ping sound.  If I unplug the USB and plug it back in, HX Edit does not reconnect, and my MacBook doesn't register that anything has been plugged in.  If I turn off the Helix and turn it back on, then plug the USB back in...still nothing happens.

If I were a guessing man, I would guess that this is some kind of grounding issue within Helix.  My MacBook not reconnecting is some sort of built-in protection to keep the Bus from shorting?  

Have you updated Mac OS? I'm using 10.14.2 with Helix floor, HX Edit and HX stomp and have never had any connectivity problems.

Apple has made some recent updates that had impact on USB. For example, my old M-Audio Fast Track Pro stopped working for a few releases and now is working fine.