Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to control USB 1/2 volume with EXP pedal?

antshay1

For the Helix Floor, is there a way to control the volume of the USB 1/2 out with the EXP Pedal? I can control the volume with the volume knob but for stage performance, I would like to use the EXP pedal. I am connecting the Helix via USB to my laptop or iPad to play tracks.  Thanks!

I don't have my Helix in front of me but I believe you do have to assign the USB 1/2 to an output in order for it to work. So theoretically, if you assign the output's level control to the expression pedal, that should work. That's assuming there is a level control when you assign the output to USB 1/2. If that doesn't work, just throw a compressor on the end, assign the expression pedal to it's level control and adjust all of the parameters so that the compressor is doing nothing to the signal.

Thanks for the reply. I am not able to assign USB 1/2 input to any path. The path input options are not available for USB 1/2. So even if I place a compressor or volume block on path A it doesn't affect the sound. I can only find USB 1/2 trim on the global setting but I can't seem to assign that control to anything.  Do you have another suggestion?  

Just to confirm, you have the Helix "regular", not the LT and not the rack mount. If this is the case then the assignment is at the end in the output block. Look at page 22 of the users manual. If you don't have that option there, you don't have a Helix.

There's no way to do this with the USB 1/2 input. It's a dedicated. From page 21 of the manual, "Helix also receives input from USB 1/2, but it's dedicated for monitoring audio from your computer (or iPad) and bypasses all processing blocks. As such, it's not available as an input block source." The USB 1/2 Input Trim parameter is a Global Setting, and those parameters can't be assigned to controllers.

8 minutes ago, phil_m said:

There's no way to do this with the USB 1/2 input. It's a dedicated. From page 21 of the manual, "Helix also receives input from USB 1/2, but it's dedicated for monitoring audio from your computer (or iPad) and bypasses all processing blocks. As such, it's not available as an input block source." The USB 1/2 Input Trim parameter is a Global Setting, and those parameters can't be assigned to controllers.

He said he was looking to control the USB 1/2 output not the input.  USB 1/2 is dedicated to monitoring when you select Multi. But if you select only USB 1/2 in your output, I think my comment will work. I've never tried it myself. I may tonight. My curiosity has been sparked.

10 minutes ago, brue58ski said:

He said he was looking to control the USB 1/2 output not the input.  USB 1/2 is dedicated to monitoring when you select Multi. But if you select only USB 1/2 in your output, I think my comment will work. I've never tried it myself. I may tonight. My curiosity has been sparked.

From the later comment, it's clear he's talking about the USB audio coming from the laptop to the Helix. So it's the USB 1/2 out from the laptop's perspective, but the USB 1/2 input going into the Helix.

@antshay1, here's another method to bear in mind....

Should analog feeds of your Playback tracks suffice, bring them to your helix via a 1/8" TRS (Stereo) to dual 1/4" TS L&R adapter cable. These are readily available in various lengths, not costly, and will work with any source device with a headphone jack! See: UGREEN 1/8" TRS (Stereo) to dual 1/4" TS adapter cable or HOSA 1/8" TRS (Stereo) to dual 1/4" TS adapter cable as well as others. 

Redefine Helix's Input Block to FX Return 1/2, or, insert a Stereo FX 1/2 Return Block in your Helix Signal Path of choice. Then assign Helix's Expression Pedal as the Controller of the Block's Level Parameter. If you use the latter method, the signal block may be positioned before or after any Helix FX Blocks (i.e. Reverb, Delay) as you may wish to include or prevent those FX from affecting the playback tracks.