Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix DI clipping, no input gain control?

vstrattomusic

Everyone, I am recording DI tracks from the Helix using the USB 7 out, even with the input pad on, the signal still clips in my DAW by 1-3 db, there is no input gain control, is there any way to fix this? Or am I going to have to record my DIs with the Focursite 2i4 and then reamp with the Helix?

Also this is very bad news for the Helix in general IMO, because this means that it's always getting a clipping input signal when it shouldn't. These aren't the hottest pickups, they're passive JBs and then I have to record with an 8 string with Blackouts. This is very bad.

38 minutes ago, dotpc said:

Have you turned down the usb output on the Helix?

No, so far I've only enabled the input pad, can you tell me where is this option?

I only see USB In 1/2 trim or Digital Out Level that could be it, but the first one only affect outs 1/2 and the second one didn't make any difference.

Hmm... The Helix doesn’t add any gain to the signal coming from USB7. It’s just tapped directly off the input. The input pad will affect it, but if you’re still clipping, that would mean the signal from your guitar is very hot. It sounds to me like something it probably setup incorrectly. The signal I get from USB7 is very low (as expected).

Something in your signal path is overdriving the signal. Bypass all effects/overdrives and see where just your amp/cab model comes out on your DAW. If it's too hot, turn down the channel volume on your amp model. Channel volume does not effect the tone, only drive and master (if it has master) does. 

I could be all wrong (I am not using the DI signal), but I thought there is no impact from any models on this path. It’s just the input signal as Helix sees it, and thus only the input pad has an effect. Given that, I would be suspect of a USB driver or a DAW input signal attenuation function