Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Questions about my Variax Acoustic 700...

Hi,

I am new here and don't know my way around just yet so forgive me if I'm asking questions already answered elsewhere. I recently bought the discontinued Variax 700 off of Reverb.com and I'm curious to know more about it from other owners. How many of them were made? Is there any way I can discover when mine was built? Are there ways to update the software?  Is there a source of parts for it if I should need something?   

I actually brought one when they first came out, and despite loving a lot about it, I sold it once buyers remorse combined with the resonance-vs-amplified conflict that was pretty evident in a small setting. I was really into alternative tunings at the time, so this became a bust for me. Today I'm playing a bigger venue through a legit P.A. making me want the versatility of my old axe. I'm more interested today in the different voices it has anyway, so instead of that being the frosting on the cake, now it's the tunings that are the secondary issue.

I'm a little scared of the guitar as it is packed with so much apparently unsupported tech, but for $425, I don't have a lot into it. If the electronics ever do give out, I can probably drop an LR Baggs M1 in there or Black Angel to keep it playing. Has anyone ever done that? I wonder how it would sound.

Anyway, I'm just excited to have one again and would like to chat with others who know something about it and dig it like I do.

Bob

I've been gigging with one for ten years now, and would have to drastically alter my setlist without it. I use it for slide work or special tunings, along with my "normal" acoustic. I replaced a piezo once (they are still available  from Full Compass online),  and had to clean the rotary model selector switch this past year because it was switching in and out of alternate mode. Otherwise, no problems. If you look around you can articles on minor repairs and setup.

Hi Soundog. Thanks for the reply. 

I may buy a few of those piezo's just to make sure I have one on hand. I think I saw that someone had a replacement board for sale for $157 too. Might not be a bad investment just to be sure, although yours is a good testimony for how well built they are. 

I would really like to know more history on the guitar too and wish Line6 was a little more forthcoming about it. I'd love to know when it was made and how many there are and why nothing like it is really available right now in an acoustic-look.

It's fun looking for that kind of info and running into other owners. Thanks again for the response and advice.

Bob

Thanks for the info on the age of my guitar, Psarkissian!

It's too bad they don't have production numbers available just so we could know just how rare or not rare these are. I'm guessing that to discontinue them in 2010, after only a six year run, and no upgraded versions since, they must not have done that well. I get that I guess as acoustic players also need to play in intimate settings and have a thing for organic sounds. I bought mine specifically for live use in a bigger situation so I'm completely happy. I love the look of it, the construction and the versatility. I'll gig with my Variax and save my Martin for dates and campfire singalongs. :)

As long as I have your attention, I am curious about the Workbench software. I saw that there was a version that works with my guitar, but when I tried to install it on my Mac, it said it needed OS 10.3. That's weird cuz I'm running 10.13. What do I do there? 

Thanks again!

bob2.0 ---- it's tricky to get Workbench (non HD) working on Mac, but it can and will work. Read the two threads below (especially towards the end where solutions were found) ....should get you going. Let us know if not. In my opinion, Workbench is essential to wring all of the best out of the VaxAc700.

https://line6.com/support/topic/16332-workbench-175-will-not-istall-on-my-imac-running-os-x-1011-el-capitan/

https://line6.com/support/topic/26686-unable-to-install-workbench-on-mac/

@Bob2point0,... yes, around 2010-ish, about the time or just prior to when the JTV came out.

10.3 is the earlier Motorola/Freescale chip architecture, while 10.13 is the Duo Core or greater Intel chip based.

Been having to deal with aspects of those disparities myself of late with my Mac's. Those links that soundog

posted might help.

Just don't try to use Workbench HD on an older Variax of that period, it's not compatible. Use the original Workbench.

Thanks for the help Soundog and Psarkissian. With your links, Soundog, I was able to get it to work on my Mac. Now I just need the USB interphase. :) l'll be looking for one of those as soon as I send this message. :)

In other news, my kids, who have been playing for years, couldn't put the VaxAC700 down when they came over last night. I've got the tone pretty well dialed in with my system, and they just couldn't get over how great they sounded playing it. I've got a great collection of guitars... including a older Les Paul and Martin D15, along with a Strat, Dean, and even a handmade boutique acoustic, but they just wanted to play the Variax. What a great guitar. Now the kids are on ebay, craigslist and reverb.com looking for one of their own. 

Having said all of that, do you have any idea on why they were discontinued after such a short run Psarkissian? (That is if you are allowed to say.) I see how the tech advanced into the electrics, but the acoustic look and vibe of the VaxAC700 is just too cool. Any plans on reviving it?

Don't know why they were discontinued.  Don't know about reviving. I don't find out these things

until they make one, then bring it to my bench for a tech check flight.

Idea Scale is the place to go to submit ideas. They look at that here. It's how the Helix was created.

On 8/16/2018 at 11:17 PM, soundog said:

bob2.0 ---- it's tricky to get Workbench (non HD) working on Mac, but it can and will work. Read the two threads below (especially towards the end where solutions were found) ....should get you going. Let us know if not. In my opinion, Workbench is essential to wring all of the best out of the VaxAc700.

https://line6.com/support/topic/16332-workbench-175-will-not-istall-on-my-imac-running-os-x-1011-el-capitan/

https://line6.com/support/topic/26686-unable-to-install-workbench-on-mac/

Hi Soundog,

I downloaded workbench and I've found a USB interphase online, but before I pull the trigger, I wonder if you could point me to somewhere that shows what  all I can wring out of the VaxAc700. A search online shows that I can apply different tunings to different positions on the knob (replacing a Banjo with an alternate tuned Jumbo), but what other advantages/capabilities have you been able to get out of it? My hands are full already with what the guitar can do at the default settings! :)

Bob

... if I had to wager a guess, I'd say the market saturated. Electric players that needed an occasional acoustic guitar sound gravitated toward the electric guitar Variax models. Acoustic players (who are really critical about achieving authentic tone) mentioned in forums that the 700 fell short on achieving tone that was convincing live and especially in the studio. You ended up with a limited market size of acoustic players needing additional tones or alternate tunings and who didn't want to haul around a lot of nice/fragile acoustic guitars. Line 6 tried to carve out some more market on the low end a couple of years later with the 300 model a couple of years after the 700, but that only lasted so long. Those that still play and own them love because the strengths outweigh any shortcomings. And, they are getting harder to find.

@bob2.0 — If you poke around you can find basic instruction on using Workbench; I think there are probably even some youtube videos. When you use the interface via the RJ45/Ethernet-like cabl and USB, also have your guitar powered and plugged into an amp or PA so you can hear what you're doing. 

For my use, I settled on the Dread model as my favorite acoustic sound (others prefer the Jumbo or Parlor). Then with Workbench, I set up the Dread with alternate tuning for specific songs, and stored those in some of the slots I never use (banjo or shamisen, for example) with alternate Dread tunings. You can also use the alternate model settings (red LED on) effectively. I also have a couple of settings I like that sound like a bass doubling the guitar, which I get using a 12 string setting and a double pitched down -12 (just on the lower 2 strings), also using the Dread model.

• Like 1

I played the VaxAC700 live today, and going through my pedal board (tuner, xotic SL Compressor, EH C9, MXR Reverb, LRBaggs DI to the house PA) I enjoyed every minute of it. Properly set up, the VaxAC700 is a powerful tool and I had no problem at all with the tone. Yeah, it doesn't sound my Martin Dreadnaught, but I can't turn my Martin into a 12 String either, so there are differences both ways. I seamlessly transitioned through instrument settings as I made my way through the church service running some pads underneath the music with very satisfying results. When the C&W was a little boomy, I adjusted the mic slider up a little while I was playing without it being a big deal. When I went to Blues 12, I set it back on the fly. 

@Soundog--I get what you are saying about the market reaction to the guitar way back when. I also think in addition to that, if they would have done a better job explaining how to use the guitar in their manual, it might have helped some. This guitar is only going to sound as good as your rig and it is going to take some time to dial in your tone. An acoustic guitar gives you its tone on the first strum, but the Variax makes you work for it a little. They should have also managed customer expectations with their ad campaign too... "All of this and more" should have probably been "a version of all of this and more (results may vary)."

Realizing that now, I am with you on this as the strengths outweigh the shortcomings. In fact, I'm wondering about keeping an eye open for another one that is in good shape so that I'll have a spare on hand if this ever goes down. 

In other news, I got my USB connector yesterday, and even though I'm slammed on a work project, I did hook it up to make sure everything ran properly. I did get some kind of Java error but was able to verify the connection between Workbench and the 700 enough to know it all works. I am going to be putting in some long hours until next Sunday but I'm looking forward to doing some of the things you are doing with the Workbench then.