Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can I emulate an amp and cab without a microphone?

bobcoss

Hi, 

This is probably a dumb question, but I'm only 2 weeks in with my helix.  I've been reading the forums and watching youtube videos and It's a bit overwhelming.

I'm getting accustomed to the new box, but one thing I keep asking myself is  "Can the Helix more directly emulate an Amp and Cabinet without a microphone?"

My HX Effects box sounds fantastic with my DT25 in 4CM, and my Helix sounds nice with my Headrush FRFR.  but as others have said, the Helix still at best sounds like the recorded amps with the specific selected microphone.   I guess I won't get the same "Amp in the room"  sounds like I do going 4CM or direct into one of my tube amps.   

But can I get close to sounding like the real amp with the Helix?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Bob

Bob, the Helix Floor is a "do everything" box. It can emulate FX pedals, preamp, power amp, speaker cab, and microphone. AND, you can turn OFF any of these elements if you wish.

So, if you are plugging your Helix Floor into the input jack of your tube amp, you'll want to turn off the amp (both preamp and power amp) and cabinet blocks. Then you're just using the Helix Floor as a stomp pedal unit.

I use my Helix floor as both FX pedals and amp (preamp and power amp) and then plug it into a solid state, flat response amplifier, and into a real 1x12 guitar speaker cab. In this case, I turn off any speaker block in the Helix, because I'm using a real speaker.

Are we on the same page?

Just to be perfectly clear...If you're going into the amp and using your physical amp and cab, then you won't use the Helix amp, cab, and mic then you would only use the Helix for Effects.  If you were going into the effects return portion of your 4CM, you would be only using the pure power amp part of your [physical amp, so you could use the effects and amp models in the Helix, but not the cabs or mic's as you'd be using the physical one.  In both cases you would likely want to mic your physical cabinet.

Hi Guys,

Cruisinon got the just of my long winded question.    I was really referring to getting the "amp in the room" with just an FRFR speaker or through the PA.

The Powercab is looks really nice, but I think I would just take my DT25.  I understand this thing enough now to figure out how to split a path to the PA, and to the DT.   I haven't actually been successful with the Helix and the DT25 yet.  I understand the line6 link limitations.  But the HX Effects sounds really nice with it in 4CM.

Thanks guys

On 8/13/2018 at 7:44 PM, bobcoss said:

I was really referring to getting the "amp in the room" with just an FRFR speaker or through the PA.

Helix models a mic'ed up amp. Playing a real amp through a PA system is a mic'ed up amp. You're not going to get "amp in the room feel" unless you have an amp in the room pointed at your body. Powercab is supposed to get that by being the cabinet (in the room) and the Helix is the amp/effects. 

I play though a couple of JBL EON 610s at home. When I point them at my face and crank them up, sounds/feels like an amp in the room to me, but even better. 

Every speaker model in the Helix includes a microphone model. So running thru a FRFR-Speaker, you always get a simulated miced sound.

One way to avoid it: Disabling the Speaker model (with the mic model) and using a guitar speaker. But this way, you loose a lot of flexibility in sound.

Second way to avoid it: Using a Line6 powercab (have'nt it, can't judge the quality)

Third way to avoid it: disabling the speaker/mic model in the Helix, replacing it by a parametric EQ wich emulates a guitar speakers frequency response and running thru FRFR speakers.

The difference of the third option compared to a real guitar cab is, thhat a guitar cab "beams" more - spotting high frequencies far more on axis, while most FRFR speakers (with build in tweeter) spread the sound more even. That's the nature of physics using a big cone for every frequency or a big cone for bass/mid and a smaller tweeter for high frequencies.