Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500x vs HX Effects

davidonn

Question for HD500x and/or HX Effects users.  I'm looking to consolidate and simplify my pedal board, going from a mix of analog pedals plus a zoom G3n to a multi effects UNIT that has an effects loop so I can use the four cable method.  So specifically I'm looking at the HX Effects or the HD 500x. I have a mesa express tube amp which I love and I plan to continue to use the amp for my clean and dirt tones. Today I went to guitar center and demo'd the HX Effects. I was absolutely blown away at how good it sounded.  So, considering that I want to use my amps gain for my most of my crunch / dirty tones, is the hx effects a bit overkill for my needs? Budget is an issue too. Only so much I can spend on gear at this point. I wouldn't be using this live as well in my cover band.

So considering all of this, and with budget restrictions, would the HD500X be a better choice? Are they that far apart in terms of sound quality? Seems like the 500x can be had used for $100-150 less than the HX Effects. I know the 500x has amp modeling but I have no use for that, effects only. Or is the HX Effects worth the extra $100-150, even though I wouldn't be using a log of the available overdrives and distortions. 

Any suggestions would be welcome. 

David,

I have both.   There are really good effects in the HD500, but they are dated.  Don't get me wrong, you can use the HD500 for 4CM with your existing AMP and SIMS you currently use.  For the used prices, it's a steal.  If strapped, I would buy a used HD500 or HD500X and later sell it for the HX Effects.  You should be able to purchase a used 

But the delays and reverbs in HX Effects are fabulous and worth the extra cash if you can swing it especially with the 2.6 firmware.  You might find yourself even using some the spectacular drives also.

I have both units as well. 

3 hours ago, davidonn said:

Seems like the 500x can be had used for $100-150 less than the HX Effects. I know the 500x has amp modeling but I have no use for that, effects only. Or is the HX Effects worth the extra $100-150, even though I wouldn't be using a log of the available overdrives and distortions. 

Yes - the HX is worth the extra $$$. The only thing the HD has over the HX effects is a built in expression pedal, amp sims (that you say you won't use) and a Variax input (if you own a Variax)... aside from that the HX wins on every other item. It's more versatile, it sounds better and it's easier to use. Not to mention.... the drives you don't intend to use are actually really nice on the HX Effects.... not so much on the HD.

Just my 2 cents...

Thanks for the feedback bobcoss. This is the way I'm leaning. Thinking if I get the hd500x, six months from now I'll be regretting not spending the extra cash to get the HX.  Looks like I'll be selling most of my analog pedals to fund this. Looking forward to the simple set up and unlimited possibilities. 

One question - I'll be using this live with my cover band covering top 40, pop and rock. Do you find yourself constantly tweaking, given all the effect choices?