Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Used Variax Compatability

17 minutes ago, msilvacoelho said:

I'm considering purchasing a used Variax to use with my Helix. I'm wondering what the differences between older models and the current Variax guitars is? Any downside with a used Variax?

Depends on what model(s) we're talking about...JTV's and beyond are fine. Some of the older, pre-JTV models may not play nice with Helix.

20 minutes ago, msilvacoelho said:

I"m thinking a JTC-59 or 89? What year was the current modeling circiut board put into production?

Not a clue... but it shouldn't be an issue, either way. 

On a side note, the 59 and 89 are two very different beasts in terms of feel. The 89 is a shred-mobile, and the 59 is basically a LP clone... different scale lengths, neck profiles, etc. Modeling is all the same, but they ain't gonna feel the same... just depends on what you like. 

There are essentially two eras of Variax. There 5 basic models in the latest era are JTV59, JTV69, JTV89, Variax Standard and Shuriken. These all work with the latest Line 6 stuff including the HD500 and Helix. I'm not sure what other current products have Variax cable inputs. The current models won't play well with the "vintage" Line 6 stuff. The XT's, X3's and Vetta's.

The "vintage" Variax's are the Variax Acoustic, Variax 300, Variax 500, Variax 600 and Variax 700. The latest Line 6 stuff will only change models and not much more (if anything). These play well with the XT's, X3's and Vetta's. This may not be all of the info but it is accurate. It's all I remember.

I haven't had any problems playing JTV, Standard or Shuriken (or any early Variax guitars)

through X3 or X3 Live, since that's what I've been using to test and check all Variax guitars

since 2007, when the X3 Live came out. Still my main bench tester for guitars here, old and

new,... for now. Never had a problem playing through XT Lives and X3 Lives with any Variax.

Communications for program or control functions between guitar and floor effects is where

the compatibility question comes in, depending on the floor effects and Variax combination being used.

For pre JTV Variax and JTV's with firmware version before 2.00, use Workbench. For those

with version 2.00 or later, use Workbench HD.

Older Model patches are not portable to the newer JTV, Standard and Shuriken guitars (or vice-versa).

1 hour ago, psarkissian said:

I haven't had any problems playing JTV, Standard or Shuriken (or any early Variax guitars)

through X3 or X3 Live, since that's what I've been using to test and check all Variax guitars

since 2007, when the X3 Live came out. Still my main bench tester for guitars here, old and

new,... for now. Never had a problem playing through XT Lives and X3 Lives with any Variax.

He's asking about an older Variax with Helix, not X- series stuff...

On 8/14/2018 at 12:38 PM, psarkissian said:

Communications for program or control functions between guitar and floor effects is where

the compatibility question comes in, depending on the floor effects and Variax combination being used.

For pre JTV Variax and JTV's with firmware version before 2.00, use Workbench. For those

with version 2.00 or later, use Workbench HD.

Older Model patches are not portable to the newer JTV, Standard and Shuriken guitars (or vice-versa).

I'm sorry. I should have been more clear. I knew they all will give you an guitar signal in all of the Line 6 products with a VDI. The "won't play well" I was referring to was about how much each unit will or will not control the different era Variax's. Sorry about that.

No problem. Quite right, just reinforcing the point you made. Very good.

Some of the floor effects play nice and some don't.  Depends on which era guitar,

the floor effect product, and what firmware they're using. Got to have all the ducks

in a row, as the saying goes.