Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix and Firehawk FH1500

yogi63

Hello,

Took plunge and bought Helix LT thinking it would be good with FH1500, I currently also use Roland GR55 plugged into monitors in

on FH1500 and this works well in live situation. I know people recommend going into the monitors in with Helix but there is no volume 

for live situations and not that impressed. I have looked at this forum and find that FH1500 is not the best option for Helix.

I just wanted to post that I have now tried guitar out from helix into guitar input FH1500, set the the FH1500 to no amp and no cab using the helix for cab and amp emulation, you can get more volume if need using compressor on FH1500. Using this method you do get stereo/wide and the setting of wall, floor and field spread on sound. I have still to try 4cable method to see if sound improves but starting to sound like stage amp should.

Has anybody had any joy with this setup. I am getting a bit fed up With Weight on FH1500 but don,t see why power cab is made for it when FH1500 is stereo and full range and there is no serious recommendations on using FH1500. Previous post I was disappointed that L6 had abandoned FH1500,

which they have. I have bought a lot of L6 but find that certain a lot is promised but something is always missing. I also have G10 relays and still to see 

if this works with Helix. I keep persevering any hints and tips appreciated, i think using no amp and cab on FH1500 sounds best route so far.

I use Helix with FH1500 in mono, going front in.

No amp, no cab on FH1500.

Sounds stellar, plenty volume.

I tried stereo but didn't like it. I don't think stereo is such a great thing on stage anyway.

Also tried going monitor in and think it sounds pretty much the same.

Last gig I put the FH1500 on the kickstand in front of me like a monitor.

Never had such great sound on stage for myself before!

Now I use the front in so I can always use the monitor in for monitor feed from the desk if needed.

Hi Thanks for commenting.

Have you tried the 4 cable method on using delays,reverb.

Do you use instrument or line on 1/4 send from helix to FH1500.

I have not had a go with amp at gig level, playing in classic rock band.

In house line seems to give more of a boost but may be distorted more when amp is cranked up.

I am going to try and use G10 wireless relay, receiver, plugged into guitar in on helix and cable out of guitar out to Fh1500 guitar in.

I have found playing with 3 guitars on stage switching using G10 is great.

Thanks John

5 hours ago, yogi63 said:

Hello,

Took plunge and bought Helix LT thinking it would be good with FH1500, I currently also use Roland GR55 plugged into monitors in

on FH1500 and this works well in live situation. I know people recommend going into the monitors in with Helix but there is no volume 

for live situations and not that impressed. I have looked at this forum and find that FH1500 is not the best option for Helix.

I just wanted to post that I have now tried guitar out from helix into guitar input FH1500, set the the FH1500 to no amp and no cab using the helix for cab and amp emulation, you can get more volume if need using compressor on FH1500. Using this method you do get stereo/wide and the setting of wall, floor and field spread on sound. I have still to try 4cable method to see if sound improves but starting to sound like stage amp should.

Has anybody had any joy with this setup. I am getting a bit fed up With Weight on FH1500 but don,t see why power cab is made for it when FH1500 is stereo and full range and there is no serious recommendations on using FH1500. Previous post I was disappointed that L6 had abandoned FH1500,

which they have. I have bought a lot of L6 but find that certain a lot is promised but something is always missing. I also have G10 relays and still to see 

if this works with Helix. I keep persevering any hints and tips appreciated, i think using no amp and cab on FH1500 sounds best route so far.

I use the Helis 1/4in. L&R outs into the rear of the Firehawk 1500 and the volume will vibrate your clothing if you want it to. I have the rear volume knob of the helix all the way up and my volume on the helix itself is at about 2 o'clock.

Hello Glen

I have seen your videos online and they are great. I have not tried Helix and FH1500 at gig levels yet.

I thought through the FH monitor ins it sounded and felt flat, need to try at gig volume.

Another question, if going through FH1500 monitor ins with Helix, do I then route GR55 through Helix so 

that I get sound from GR55. My next project is to get Helix controlling GR55 through midi.

Thanks for commenting.

John.

I have been playing and gigging with that setup for years now and I love it. I use the same setup as Glenn but occasionally I add a DT50 for some tube amp fun while I go overboard on effects on the Firehawk 1500 side. As for the GR 55, I would put it through one or your effects loops on the helix, it offers more control and flexibility but that is my take on it. Plus, less cables to have going across the stage to behind the Firehawk 1500 unless you have one setting and leave it at that but I doubt it. The key for the Firehawk 1500/helix to sound great is to have the XLR’s going into the monitors in and (cranked the volume like Glenn said) a 1/4” line from helix out into the firehawk1500 to engages all of the speakers. 

Hi 

Thanks for the advice, I was nearly going to get powercab, but surely FH1500 is better than powercab, plus

I need my GR55 for acoustic. I have variax standard, but can’t get near GR55 12string and acoustic sounds, also

use strings and choirs.

Thanks John

I'm just using the FX Return into the FH-1500 - a mono (sub-mix) feed on the mixer, and it works very well. It's not stereo but neither was nearly every amp made from 1950 on. Im happy with it, and the FH1500 does very very well as a sound source for Helix (and anything else signal wise I feed into the Return jack).