Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Creating DSP on path 2

Axylrock

I’ve attached a labeled photo of my signal path. For some reason those are all the blocks that I can have on path 2. On path one it seems almost unlimited with what I can have. What can I do to rearrange this path so that I can add more blocks to my path 2?

B1C4F0F4-C820-462C-A6C6-9BB3D0DDCF0D.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Axylrock said:

What’s the difference?

You'll be unlikely to hear a difference - I'll skip the technical stuff, I have only a basic grasp of it, the short version is that it is a lower resolution version of the IR.  

As for getting more blocks on Path 2 - this comes down to the fact that some effects, reverb in particular, take a lot more processing than others.  Amps are another (you have an amp on path 2).  

The Paths represent the separate processors in the Helix - so you can only put so much load on one processor or the other.  Distortions, compressors, EQ, and some modulation blocks take very little power - but amps, reverbs, some delays and IRs take a ton.  So sometimes making very complex patches can be a dance of where-to-put-what so the load is spread between processors.  

Someone on the facebook group made a chart of how much DSP each effect takes - I wouldn't spend too much time trying to read it, but it'll give you an idea of how processor intensive the various kinds of effects are.  It's pretty intuitive - amps are more complex than fuzz pedals, bucket brigade choruses are more complex than a tremolo.  

Helix DSP Values-2.50 v3.xlsx

• Thanks 1

On 8/15/2018 at 9:26 PM, Axylrock said:

I’ve attached a labeled photo of my signal path. For some reason those are all the blocks that I can have on path 2. On path one it seems almost unlimited with what I can have. What can I do to rearrange this path so that I can add more blocks to my path 2?

B1C4F0F4-C820-462C-A6C6-9BB3D0DDCF0D.jpeg

As Jopeggio mentioned, if you are using different size IRs or even different amps on each path(some amps use more DSP than others) that could account for the difference in apparent DSP availability.

Not sure if it will make a significant difference but I also notice that you have the Output bock on 1A set to go to the Input block on 2A and also have the Output block on 1B set to go to the Input block on 2B. Perhaps that is the routing you needed for this particular preset but you may want to instead try a template like 01D "Super Serial x2" which can be found in the "Templates" setlist for maximizing DSP availability.