Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax And Workbenchhd Won't Connect

• 2 weeks later...

Workbench HD does not work through a POD device. It works only with the Variax/Workbench hardware interface. Make sure you have a 1/4" cable connected to the Variax output jack, and make sure your battery is charged.

And, make sure the VDI cable is connected properly to the guitar. I have had a few experiences where the connection ( guitar end ) can be a little problematic, mainly due to the cover and slight angle of the connection in the guitar. It should click in but sometimes needs a little bit more force, but not to much which could cause damage.

Why are we having to wait so long for the JTV's AND Workbench HD to work through the POD (HD500) variax connection?  This really needs to be working.  Having to connect the junk (IMO) box just to access this touted "High Definition" software simply doesn't make sense and is a big step backward…again, in my opinion.

If this software is to be truly useful, I want (need) to hear the changes through the POD HD500 as I make them.  I can't overstate how ridiculous the concept is to me that this would be made non-functioning within a purported software upgrade.

you can also hook up a 1/4" straight into the pod to hear changes realtime...

no idea when it will be updated to use the pod though... which is clearly the more desired solution.

Why are we having to wait so long for the JTV's AND Workbench HD to work through the POD (HD500) variax connection?  This really needs to be working.  Having to connect the junk (IMO) box just to access this touted "High Definition" software simply doesn't make sense and is a big step backward…again, in my opinion.

If this software is to be truly useful, I want (need) to hear the changes through the POD HD500 as I make them.  I can't overstate how ridiculous the concept is to me that this would be made non-functioning within a purported software upgrade.

• Upvote 1

you can also hook up a 1/4" straight into the pod to hear changes realtime...

Then I'd need to charge the battery, which I almost never do 'cause I purchased the toutedly innovative Line 6 VDI cable and the "cool" one being solicited within the forum, which is - in fact - "cool" and much preferred over the stiff L6 cable.

I know it's an unfortunate unknown and I do appreciate your continued support within the forum and response, Zap, just blowin' off steam.

Never hurts to carry a charged battery as backup for emergencies (failed VDI cable - whether the 'cool' one or the stiff L6 one, or VDI jack failure in either JTV or HD500). Just sayin'.... until the firmware update arrives you're not exactly dead in the water re: using Workbench HD.

I just got my JTV69 and can't get it connected to WorkBenchHD either.

Here's my set-up:  

JTV69 connected via the VDI cable to the supplied Variax USB interface which is connected via USB cable directly to my MacMini (Running Mavericks).  Additionally, I have a 1/4" cable plugged into the JTV69. The battery is charged. 

The JTV69 is powered on (model selector know lit up)

The USB interface shows two green lights

The MacMini system information shows that the "Variax USB Interface" is connected

Line6 Monkey shows the "Variax USB Interface"

However, Monkey shows only shows the latest version of Variax Workbench at 1.54 so I did not install from within Monkey, I downloaded WorkBenchHD directly.  It is unable to connect to the JTV69.  I've unplugged/replugged/restarted/rescanned all to no avail.  Kind of frustrating.  

Should the JTV69 show up in Monkey separately or just the USB interface?  I am trying to see what firmware version is installed on the guitar, but since it doesn't show up anywhere, I'm not sure how to do that.  For what its worth, License Manager doesn't connect to or find the JTV69 or the USB interface.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Downvote 1

However, Monkey shows only shows the latest version of Variax Workbench at 1.54 so I did not install from within Monkey, I downloaded WorkBenchHD directly.  It is unable to connect to the JTV69.  I've unplugged/replugged/restarted/rescanned all to no avail.  Kind of frustrating.

If Monkey isn't showing the latest version of things, it probably means you need to update Monkey. But you usually get a warning when you start Monkey. Also, Workbench and Workbench HD are completely different programs, so Workbench HD doesn't show up as an update for Workbench.

Thanks for the replies.  I finally got the Variax to show up in Monkey as a separate device (Didn't make any changes, just waited an hour or so - perhaps it only works after 8p PST? :). But the WorkBenchHD still won't connect.

I now I have Variax USB Device & Tyler Variax listed as separate devices in Monkey.  If I click on the Tyler Variax, it says Device Firmware Flash Memory 2.0, but under applications, it has the newest Variax Workbench listed as v. 1.54.  So do I need to install v1.54 first before Variax HD works?  I generally don't like to install old software if I don't have to, but maybe that is what is required?  I guess I'll try that and see if that does anything.  

O.k. reporting back.  After installing WorkBench 1.54 and restarting, it looks like WorkBenchHD is now connecting.  Though oddly, in Monkey, the JTV is no longer showing up.  I guess I'll pick my battles as long as I can get HD working.  Perhaps Line6 should clarify for anyone purchasing new JTVs (Rather than upgrading to HD) that they can't just install WorkBenchHD and have to install the older version first.  Would have saved me some frustration...  Hopefully this will help others.

Perhaps Line6 should clarify for anyone purchasing new JTVs (Rather than upgrading to HD) that they can't just install WorkBenchHD and have to install the older version first.  Would have saved me some frustration...  Hopefully this will help others.

Well, I don't think you do have to do this... I don't know why that seemed to be the thing that was the trick for you, but I'm glad you got it to work.

• 1 month later...

if you mean workbench HD, it works on mavericks and i use it...

if you mean variax workbench... the issue is a java update done by apple...

you need to figure out how to restore the old version of java to your mavericks install...

(which apple being a closed system, makes very hard to do)

the old workbench software is unlikely to get updated.

Workbench not working on Mavericks for me either.  Just posting this in hopes that it gets someone's attention at Line 6 and they fix this.

• 8 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Is anybody else getting the "not connected" issue with the JTV/Workbench HD ? The Variax will play through the Helix floor unit but it will not connect to the WB HD app thru the Helix floor unit any more. This happened after the HX 3.50 and HX EDIT 3.51 .        WB is at 2.15       I have reinstalled firmware, changed connections, looked at settings......yes I have put in a trouble ticket- just checking to see if this is just me.

I know it is always possible that anything can go wrong but everything was great until the last update. I need my Variax to communicate with the Workbench HD app. I am a little anxious about this at this point.

I just tested my setup and it works fine. I note, however, that I am running WB v3.14; I haven't update to 3.15. Perhaps you could roll back and try it? If 3.14 works for you please let Line 6 know there's potentially a bug in 3.15 when they respond to your support ticket.