Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Interesting GP article regarding multiband and Helix

PiFromBRC

Thanks as it was an interesting article.  I haven't tried it but seems like a lot of DSP used plus the overhead in maintaining four amp/cab blocks.  Any time I change the tone, mics, properties I have to replicate it three times possibly.

Cool article and a very interesting approach. Although it is very different it reminds me a bit of what Jason Sadites does with crossover splits. Can't see myself ever using this approach exactly as Craig Anderton does here because I don't think I would have enough DSP for the rest of what I tend to put in a preset but you never know. Some great suggestions overall and I like the ideas at the end of the piece on how to add effects in a novel fashion. Articles like this definitely help give you ideas that you can incorporate into your own presets and it is great to see Craig publishing some new approaches to the Helix. I read his first review on the Helix when it was but a fledgling. Nice to know he is still playing with it.

It is an interesting approach.  I didn't get to try it last night, but I'm going to mess around with it this weekend.

I like that people are finding new ways to use the Helix in order to zero in on tones.  I think that the writing is on the wall that at some point they're going to have to provide a unit with greater DSP, but my main experiment with the GP article approach is going to be ways to dial it back so that I can use more FX within the Helix and supp the DSP via FX loops with the HD500.  I find that a lot of the HD's FX are just fine (and a I prefer a couple of the modulation sounds it has over the Helix), but in the end we're all looking for a one-stop approach to signal modeling.

Here’s another idea. As you pick harder and the guitar puts out more output into either a distortion pedal or amp that’s breaking up, it would be nice if the bass going into the distortion is cut,  and treble coming out of distortion is cut to give a nice mid boost - cutting flub and ice pick. That way as you turn the volume control down on your guitar and the amp cleans up, the bass and treble are automatically turned up giving you that nice rich clean sound.

Two multi-pass compressors could do this, one before the distortion and another after, each set to do the opposite of the other.