Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Moke's Custom Presets - Helix - 'Artist' and 'General Multi-Purpose' Preset Demos

guitarmoke

Hi everybody....To keep the forum less cluttered, I will be posting all of my 'Artist' and 'General Multi-Purpose' preset announcements and demos in this thread.

It will make it easier for anyone that is following this thread to keep updated.

Thanks, Moke

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/1/2020 at 1:18 AM, guitarmoke said:

Just wanted to say that I am now in the Line6 Marketplace.

Excellent work on those YouTube clips mate, we're coming from the same musical influences, I've been chasing tones for Def Leppard, Queensryche, Whitesnake etc so don't know how I missed those clips but will check out the downloads. Have you tried to replicate the guitar tone on the Hysteria album at all? That would be something to nail seeing as it's such a unique sound, as you probably know, they didn't use any actual real amps to record that album

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Paulzx said:

I've been chasing tones for Def Leppard

Hi,

Don’t mean to hijack the thread from “guitarmoke”, but as you mentioned the Hysteria album in particular, I wondered if you had checked out the complete albums worth of presets made by Scott Minchk over on his YouTube channel.

First one of the series is here then continue from there.

Hope this helps.

Yes, actually followed Scott's stuff quite a lot, he's a good guy with loads of great tips on Helix, and I did mention it to him, then shortly after, he came up with the Hysteria patch. However, when i tried it with my gear it was way off, but i know the Helix well enough to know that it was probably very good at Scott's end, but you put that patch somewhere else with someone else's speakers, different room, different guitars, strings etc and it's completely different.

I think with that particular album guitar tone, it's so specific that it might be a bit too ambitious to re-create on the Helix what was effectively, a guitar sound made in the studio. I've heard nothing since that comes close in a recording either. It has a clarity which is almost space age sounding or futuristic. I suppose Helix is at the end of the day, more geared up to re-create actual amp tones.

10 hours ago, Paulzx said:

Yes, actually followed Scott's stuff quite a lot, he's a good guy with loads of great tips on Helix, and I did mention it to him, then shortly after, he came up with the Hysteria patch. However, when i tried it with my gear it was way off, but i know the Helix well enough to know that it was probably very good at Scott's end, but you put that patch somewhere else with someone else's speakers, different room, different guitars, strings etc and it's completely different.

I think with that particular album guitar tone, it's so specific that it might be a bit too ambitious to re-create on the Helix what was effectively, a guitar sound made in the studio. I've heard nothing since that comes close in a recording either. It has a clarity which is almost space age sounding or futuristic. I suppose Helix is at the end of the day, more geared up to re-create actual amp tones.

Ah, yeah, welcome to the world of “all presets suck!”.

Scott is a great guy and his demo videos are really worth watching. In fact I have some of his presets that work just fine (for me) but, as you have discovered (and has been mentioned many, many times), the same preset can sound totally different in a different environment through different speakers. It is all different!

One comment that you made that did seem a little odd to me was - the fact that you think because “Hysteria” is a studio created sound, it should be difficult to recreate within the Helix. One of the biggest “complaints” about Helix is that it “doesn’t sound like the amp in the room”.  That’s because the sound of the Helix is more like listening to the “fully produced” sound that you would hear in a studio control room. If that’s the case it should be achievable. Plus, as you have already discovered, asking someone else to create the tone for you just won’t work. Different guitar, different pickups, strings, pick attack, speakers, listening environment will all fail, even more so if you are not actually Phil Collen.

Damn, I remember seeing Def Leppard playing live, so that theory that the tone cannot be created outside of the studio can’t be quite right.

Best bet, create your own sound, but at least it makes a change from people requesting David Gilmour presets - because when they eventually get one, that’s the time they realise they are not Mr. Gilmour. Simple as.

;-)

Its all a bit of a proverbial rabbit hole isn't it? Definitely with custom tone stuff and some presets you can buy online, they are disappointing for whatever reason when you use them yourself. Conversely, I've got a custom tone hard rock patch to die for, its sounds monstrous, much better than anything I've ever dialled in, so its hit and miss.

On the hysteria sound, I guess when you put it like that regarding helix, you would think it possible to achieve but when I create tones I always go on the amp theory, so obviously if I'm after an overdrive Marshall tone I'm going to start with the 2204 amp model etc. The problem with hysteria is that they didn't use any amps they used one of those old rockman distortion pedals straight into the desk, but the pedal was re wired then eq'ed so even though helix has a lot of sounds to play with, where do you even start? When you really listen to the guitar tone on that record its very overdrive, almost razor like yet it has almost no bottom end at all. I do realise that if anyone had something close, it might not be the same my end but I would love to find a sound in helix as a starting point at least. I do know the guitars were recorded using a single coil strat and telecaster so that obviously contributed to the end sound.

Regarding Leppard playing live and therefore re-creating the album tone, that's not the case at all. Having seen them countless times and studied the evolution of their guitar rigs and tones, they actually never tried to copy the studio sound, probably because there was no live gear back then that could do it, or it just didn't work in a live format. Having avoided using Marshall type tones on that album, they actually went back to using JCM 800s for live shows. Phil Collen is actually using a fractal now.

So even if I asked the guitar players how to dial in the hysteria album tone, they wouldn't know because they never used it live! Thats why I was hoping some clever person around here might have tried!

4 hours ago, Paulzx said:

Thats why I was hoping some clever person around here might have tried!

Oops! That’s got to be an exercise in total futility! As you pointed out - it’s a rabbit hole, and I guess you should have taken the red pill.

The trouble with this sort of thing, is simply the fact that only Def Leppard (or whoever else you choose) will ever sound like them. Everything else is a cheap pastiche - you really need to do what they did - create your own signature sound - or enlist the aid of Mutt.

If you need a starting point, then you could do worse than Scott’s “Hysteria” pack. Begin there and modify to suit your situation.

As for the Tom Scholz “Rockman” (modified or not) tones - well that has been discussed many times in these pages and seem to be a bit of an Holy Grail. (Anyone else in here remember ”itsslash”, or was it “Iamtheone”, and can the Helix really sound like Andy Summers - aaaaarrrrrrgggg!).

Good luck with your quest!

Yeah I get what you're saying, I'm not trying to 'be' Def Leppard or make that my signature sound, I'm happy with my personal hard rock patches. This is just a personal thing, when playing along with the album, it's a challenge to make a patch that sounds authentic along with it because it's so unusual.

I have got Scott's Hysteria pack so I'll probably go back to that and have a play. Something that made me chuckle was that Phil Collen in an interview just this week said that what he liked about the Fractal was that it allowed you to spend more time playing than tweaking because it was easy to program. I couldn't help thinking hmm.. try that with the Helix haha!

Interesting factoid.. Phil at one time was using the Line 6 Vetta with foot pedal, live with his side band Man Raze. I saw him using it in London and instantly went out and bought the same gear, and been using Line 6 products ever since.

• Upvote 1