Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

help with HX effects please

Brofsu

Just got my HX effects recently and struggling a bit.   I'm over age 60, not tech savy, so please be patient with my question here.    I'm crawling before I walk.    Here is my question:       If I'm looking down at the board in stomp mode, in what order do I arrange the 6 box options?     I think top left is overdrive, directly across on top reverb,  across to top right delay.    I'm struggling with which effect/order the bottom row should contain.    Looking down, what should I put first, what in the middle and what in the final switch option on far right?    I hope this makes sense.    I'll eventually learn to do this via my computer/Mac but for now I want to start manually and keep it basic.

I love distortion, know I need a compressor, etc but again, not sure what order.    I know it's backwards from running my old pedal board where i started with tuner into Wah, into Tube Screamer, into Blues Driver, into Chorus, into reverb and into delay and then into amp.    That's my old pedalboard setup.

I know I need to learn how use the Assign Controller, etc which I will do down the road but again for now, I just want to know the basic order and I can choose which effects to line up manually.    Hope this makes sense.

Suggestions for this non-tech,  older dude still tryin to rock would be appreciated.    I love my old Tube amp so looking forward to learning and using the HX Effects.

Thank you.

You can assign any effect to any footswitch you like, its really just a matter of preference... what does make a difference is the order in which the FX are placed in your signal chain. For the sake of simplicity while you're still getting your feet wet, treat it just like your pedal board. Put all your FX blocks in the same order as your analog pedals... but as far as the footswitches assignments are concerned, it's kinda arbitrary. The signal flow matters, but how you wish to access each one is entirely up to you, and won't affect the sound one way or the other. 

• Like 1

Thanks so much.

Fortunately I know which order my pedals on my board are to run.    On the HX,

if I start with overdrive in top left spot and work my way across and down, won’t they be in the correct order of the chain without me having to do anything else, me not having to assign due to fact I’ve lined them up properly?

I also want to buy a Mission pedal for volume.   Do I have to assign it to each of my presets individually or will it be a plug and play.    Really need a volume pedal and they say Mission is the one I want.

thanks again for your help.

25 minutes ago, Brofsu said:

Thanks so much.

Fortunately I know which order my pedals on my board are to run.    On the HX,

if I start with overdrive in top left spot and work my way across and down, won’t they be in the correct order of the chain without me having to do anything else, me not having to assign due to fact I’ve lined them up properly?

No, you'll still have to assign each block to a footswitch... at least that's how Stomp Mode works in Helix, and I'm assuming that the HX FX functions the same way. If I'm mistaken about that, someone will chime in, I'm sure... lol

On 8/17/2018 at 10:52 AM, cruisinon2 said:

No, you'll still have to assign each block to a footswitch... at least that's how Stomp Mode works in Helix, and I'm assuming that the HX FX functions the same way. If I'm mistaken about that, someone will chime in, I'm sure... lol

If starting from a blank patch on the HX Effects... you can build your board from Stomp Mode and they are automatically added to the Signal Flow. 

On 8/17/2018 at 10:30 AM, Brofsu said:

On the HX, if I start with overdrive in top left spot and work my way across and down, won’t they be in the correct order of the chain without me having to do anything else, me not having to assign due to fact I’ve lined them up properly?

I believe you are correct.... 1, 2, 3 across the top, 4, 5, 6 across the bottom (IIRC). However, that leaves three empty slots in the signal flow view. You may not want those spots to be at the end of the chain, so you will have to dig in  and move things around. If you move items in Signal Flow, they are NOT MOVED in Stomp mode, and vice versa. 

On 8/17/2018 at 10:33 AM, Brofsu said:

I also want to buy a Mission pedal for volume.   Do I have to assign it to each of my presets individually or will it be a plug and play.    

It will be plug and play... providing your follow steps 2 & 3 below.

1: Make sure you buy the MISSION that is designed for the LINE 6 products.... The other one may cause grief

2: You have to add a volume pedal block into each patch you want to use it. Remember, you have three extra slots after filling the stomp mode, one of these extras will be the Volume Pedal block

3: Plug the Pedal into EXP 2. It might be tempting to plug into EXP1, but it's easier if you go into 2 (see #4 below)

4: When you add a volume pedal block it automatically sets up to use EXP2. No need to change any parameters unless you want to... just adding the block with the pedal plugged into #2 will work automatically.