avalon650

Success with lighter gauge strings?

I know the JTV59 comes with 10's and I understand the piezo's involvement.

But has anyone had success for the modeling with lighter strings - say 8's (I use Dunlop 7's on my other guitars)

As I just received a used JTV59, I don't want to go too much off the rails as I'm testing, but would like to know for the future.

Would not recommend going light than 9's, nor heavier than 11's. Try to keep

it in that 9 to 11 range. It's a piezo string tension thing.

• Upvote 1

Thank you for the quick response... I just changed to a new set of 10's so will keep them on for a month or so but I will try 9's next.  Exactly the advice I needed. 

FWIW - on all my electrics I tend to bounce between 9s and 10s, just keep the left hand on its' toes.  While the 9s are perfectly acceptable, I DO find the 10s have a bit more authority so to speak.  Goes back to the "tension across the piezos" comment above.  So certainly give'em a try (9s), they won't hurt anything and if you're good with the response... there ya go.

Oh btw - JTV69s w/Fender neck, and a Standard.  Same response for either...

I primarily got the JTV59 for the acoustics but having gone through all models with all positions last night, I must say even the electrics blew me away - using various models in my Amp vst on these Variax guitar models surprised the hell out of me - they sound so good using 10's, I'm now not in a huge rush to try 9's...although I will try them out eventually.

Another option that I find to be a nice compromise are 9.5's from DiAddario. I use them on my JTV69.

• Like 1