Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

So This Is Why Line6 Doesn't Announce Updates....

RipperShred

Just over on the thegearpage.net checking on the thread about Digitech's new flagship line, as I have been for weeks now, and how the rep for the company for the past month/month-and-a-half has been saying-without-saying that they were going to announce it, and here they've gone and reneged the whole " we don't wait for NAMM to do our announcements" and have pussied-out and said they won't be announcing anything until the next NAMM.

Bullsh*t. Utter bullsh*t.

I'm not interested in waiting another 3 months for them to just ANNOUNCE it, and then see when it's going to ship. I, and everyone else is going to be looking at what they can get in that interim timeframe. I can see why L6 doesn't announce, because this just killed my goodwill towards Digitech. Seriously, a month and a half of building hype, then a 180 and a 3 month delay. Pfft.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Pretty much... There's an old adage in business that says it's better to under-promise and over-deliver rather than over-promise and under-deliver. It's hard to think of a case where that doesn't ring true. If you raise people's expectations only to leave them disappointed, it will leave a bad taste in their mouth.

I think even the biggest companies can run into issues with releasing products, so it doesn't surprise me that guitar companies, which are in the grand scheme of things relatively small companies, can run into issues. There are whole slew of things that can delay projects. Personally, my observation right now is that the industry in general is still pretty volatile both on the manufacturing side and on the sales side. It seems to me that there's been quite a bit of movement in the way of personnel in a lot of these companies it looks like. That always makes it difficult.

• Upvote 1

Exactly right. Managing customer expectations is always difficult, and premature announcements - especially announcing that there will be an announcement - can really come back to bite you.

Line 6 has learned their lesson on this and now rarely announces new products or updates until they are ready to go. Of course, that doesn't stop users from speculating and there are threads that get started here routinely, forecasting not only when unannounced new products/updates are thought to be pending but also their features and contents. Some users even manage to persuade themselves that their completely unfounded expectations are reasonable and get upset when they are not met. What's a company to do?

While I half expected this, (the waiting till NAMM part) so it doesn't annoy me maybe as much as you guys, but it is irritating when it happens regardless.

Same with waiting for features, updates that have been promised in the gaming world that take forever.  (at the moment a public release of the multiplayer of Duke Nukem Megaton Edition on Steam is a prime example)

I am still not sure which physical modeler route I want to take, including the PODHD series....  The wait continues, no biggie.

My gf got me EZ Mix 2 +6 expansions last night (got it at a good price) to go with my Pod Farm 2.  Even more glad she did since they are waiting.

Should easily hold me over to see what is announced at NAMM. 

But on the plus side, this also gives L6 a bit more time to work on that update too! 

......Of course, that doesn't stop users from speculating... ... when unannounced new products/updates are thought to be pending....

But on the plus side, this also gives L6 a bit more time to work on that update too! 

Exhibit A. ;)  :lol:

I agree... :) 

(based on my own speculation....)

lol it was a stab with levity.

However, that being said, I don't doubt there is some kind of update that will happen with drivers/firmware with the HD family sometime in the coming future. I mean its not all that old of a family of products.