Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Live sound for Helix Lt

burton4snow

19 minutes ago, burton4snow said:

I just got this and I'm using headphones with it. What is the best way to play this live. I am just playing this down in a refinished mancave basement and don't plan on playing it super loud. I'm not familiar with what is out there help me out thanks

Hi, again,

Well, I guess you managed to get the Helix LT updated - or did you give up on trying to download?

As for some sort of speaker system for personal listening there are many, many choices. Depends what you want to do with the Helix. If you want to hook it up to a computer for recording or playing along to YouTube vids and backing tracks, you just need some powered monitor speakers. The other option is to get a single FRFR speaker with a built in amp. There so many choices out there it will basically come down to how much you want to spend. Narrow that down a you will have a better idea of what to buy.

In the meantime, enjoy it through your headphones!

A lot depends on what you mean by "live".  Studio monitors would be the optimal way to play at home with recordings.  Once you start talking about jamming with others or in a band then studio monitors wouldn't be sufficient and you'd need something more along the lines of a powered speaker or cabinet.  Both are well within your budget.  But it's important to understand that you tend to get what you pay for in these areas.

I have both studio monitors as well as powered monitors as I do both home recording and live performance.  I'm a firm believer in getting high quality when it comes to speakers as they will account for a significant portion of what you can get out of the Helix as far as sound.  I have a pair of Yamaha HS-7 studio monitors which run about $300 each or $600 for a stereo pair.  For my live powered speakers I use a Yamaha DXR-12 which are about $700 new, but can often be found used.  I use just a single speaker as stereo tends to be generally not as effective in live environments and is hard to get a decent stereo separation at least as far as the audience is concerned.

The advantage you have with the Helix is that it can be used as your computer's audio device.  Therefore you simply attach the speakers to the Helix and hook the Helix up to your computer via a USB cable and you can jam along with anything on your computer or the internet.  The only thing you have to concern yourself with is what you're application is in terms of playing "live" so to speak.

2 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

A lot depends on what you mean by "live".  Studio monitors would be the optimal way to play at home with recordings.  Once you start talking about jamming with others or in a band then studio monitors wouldn't be sufficient and you'd need something more along the lines of a powered speaker or cabinet.  Both are well within your budget.  But it's important to understand that you tend to get what you pay for in these areas.

I have both studio monitors as well as powered monitors as I do both home recording and live performance.  I'm a firm believer in getting high quality when it comes to speakers as they will account for a significant portion of what you can get out of the Helix as far as sound.  I have a pair of Yamaha HS-7 studio monitors which run about $300 each or $600 for a stereo pair.  For my live powered speakers I use a Yamaha DXR-12 which are about $700 new, but can often be found used.  I use just a single speaker as stereo tends to be generally not as effective in live environments and is hard to get a decent stereo separation at least as far as the audience is concerned.

The advantage you have with the Helix is that it can be used as your computer's audio device.  Therefore you simply attach the speakers to the Helix and hook the Helix up to your computer via a USB cable and you can jam along with anything on your computer or the internet.  The only thing you have to concern yourself with is what you're application is in terms of playing "live" so to speak.

I am just jamming in medium size room and play a little bit above speaking level. Maybe a little louder. I am running programs on the computer to play along with, that is why I got a line 6 because I know from POD xt red bean that I am replacing(Lol) that sound from the computer is coming through headphones. So I guess monitors is what I need.

44 minutes ago, burton4snow said:

I am just jamming in medium size room and play a little bit above speaking level. Maybe a little louder. I am running programs on the computer to play along with, that is why I got a line 6 because I know from POD xt red bean that I am replacing(Lol) that sound from the computer is coming through headphones. So I guess monitors is what I need.

Yeah...studio monitors sound like the right ticket for you.  Take a look at the Yamaha HS-7 speakers.  I've had mine for probably 8 years.  They're pure workhorses and are extraordinarily accurate.  It seems like I've been seeing them a lot on sale.

2 minutes ago, DunedinDragon said:

Yeah...studio monitors sound like the right ticket for you.  Take a look at the Yamaha HS-7 speakers.  I've had mine for probably 8 years.  They're pure workhorses and are extraordinarily accurate.  It seems like I've been seeing them a lot on sale.

Thanks