Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD POD 500x as MIDI Footswitch with Hughes and Kettner

hdoran

I purchased the Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister Deluxe 40 and also have the HD POD 500x which I would like to use as my MIDI footswitch controller to toggle the presets I save on the amp. My goal is to get 100% of my tones from the amp and really use the POD as a way to toggle presets, other than use the way pedal on the POD.

I'm looking for users who have successfully used this combination and might be able to share how to assign presents that I save on the amp to the board so I can recall them easily.

Thanks!

Make sure you've got both manuals handy for reference. Then refer to them on how to 'talk' to the H&K.

From the HD500X, you need to run a MIDI cable from MIDI OUT to the MIDI IN on the H&K. Then you'll have to create a patch that will store the footswitch MIDI assignments. Once you've selected the patch, you hold down the MOVE button and you'll get your MIDI CC assign functions.

After that, all the rest of the information is going to come from the H&K manual for what MIDI info it is listening for.

I have a working solution to share and document in case others are interested in replicating this. I am using the H & K Grandmeister Deluxe 40 head and the Line 6 POD HD 500x. You can use the POD as a MIDI foot switch controller to toggle between the presets using the steps below.

Prerequisites
MIDI cable out of HD POD into MIDI in on H&K amp

Step 1: Dial in tone on amp
Step 2: On POD hold down "move" button until MIDI assign appears
Step 3: Use left/right arrows on the move button to hover over the footswitch you want to assign to
Step 4: Turn knob 1 to MIDI Base
Step 5: Turn knob 2 so that "message: prog change" appears. You need to make a PC change (not a cc change)
Step 6: Turn knob 3 to get a unique program number (make sure it's not duplicated with another PC number). I started with 1 for the first preset, then 2 and so on.
Step 7: On H&K, hit the "store" button
Step 8: On the POD hit the footswitch you are assigning to.
Step 9: The "store" button on amp will flash and then go off and that's all.
Step 10: Repeat for each new preset you want to create and assign
Step 11: Once done, hit "save" on the POD to save these MIDI commands to the channel. If you don't do this they will not appear the next time you use the board and amp