Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Relay G10 live performance failures

I purchased a Relay G10 about 45 days ago and have had nothing but problems. My first gig the day of purchase went fairly well, only one dropout about 35 feet from the receiver all night. The following week I plugged it in at a venue and the receiver was completely dead. No LEDs. I was forced to revert back to wire. I got home and plugged it in and it worked. I thought maybe I had a bad electrical outlet. The following week at another venue I again had the same issue. Completely dead. I tried several different outlets to no avail. Reverted back to wire. Tried it at home again later, worked fine. Next gig the unit powered up however I had to stand directly next to the receiver. Any further than 7 feet away I lost signal. Uplugged it and reverted back to wire. So this goes on for weeks. Sometimes it works great but more often it doesn't. I try it again at home and this time it doesn't work. I check the outlet and the cables and to my shock I find the USB cable can be plugged in backwards! And of course it doesn't work plugged in backwards. I test it with another cable and find it can be plugged in and seated completely backwards as well. Looking at the receptacle in the power supply I found a non-standard pin type connector rather than a USB connector. Its a very disappointing design and does not meet the keyed criteria of the USB specifications. So Friday I took it to an important gig now conscious of the connector polarity issue, plugged it in and it is dead. No lights. I swap the polarity and nothing. Dead. I look at the receptacle connections and find the first two pins are bent completely sideways flattened against the bottom of the connector. I revert back to wire. So yesterday I Googled this problem and discovered that this has been a major issue with the product since 2016. Why do you sell stuff that has known problems that can be easily re-engineered? And why would a person who discovered that you sell stuff that is known to have problems (that you don't fix) continue to by Line 6 products? And since its been more than 30 days how do I get my money back for this thing?

Thanks for your response Phil!

I should have been more specific. The problem is with the USB A receptacle on the supplied power adapter. I noticed the day I purchased it that mating force was lower than any USB A connection I have ever used, to the point where the tiniest pressure would pull it out. I was busy setting up for a show and it worked so it passed from my thoughts. It was after several shows that the unit failed to work (no power LEDs) that I realized the USB A plug could be inserted backwards yet appear normally seated. I took a look at the receptacle and was disappointed to find that it was a pin type rather than a USB and that there was no mechanical keying as is specifically called for in all USB standards. It is simply not the correct mating connector for a USB A plug. As a result of it being so loose and having tiny pins, two of the four were pushed sideways and flattened. I tried to bend the pins back out but they were stressed to the breaking point and snapped off. I then Googled the issue and was even more disappointed to find on this forum and others that many, many customers have reported this same issue two years before I bought mine, yet the problem still exists and they are selling known defective units. Thats pretty crappy....

1 hour ago, MadScientistDude said:

Thanks for your response Phil!

I should have been more specific. The problem is with the USB A receptacle on the supplied power adapter. I noticed the day I purchased it that mating force was lower than any USB A connection I have ever used, to the point where the tiniest pressure would pull it out. I was busy setting up for a show and it worked so it passed from my thoughts. It was after several shows that the unit failed to work (no power LEDs) that I realized the USB A plug could be inserted backwards yet appear normally seated. I took a look at the receptacle and was disappointed to find that it was a pin type rather than a USB and that there was no mechanical keying as is specifically called for in all USB standards. It is simply not the correct mating connector for a USB A plug. As a result of it being so loose and having tiny pins, two of the four were pushed sideways and flattened. I tried to bend the pins back out but they were stressed to the breaking point and snapped off. I then Googled the issue and was even more disappointed to find on this forum and others that many, many customers have reported this same issue two years before I bought mine, yet the problem still exists and they are selling known defective units. Thats pretty crappy....

This is actually the first report I've read (at least that I can recall) of an issue with the USB A side of the cable. The issue that there's a long-ish thread on here is about the micro-USB (USB C) jack on the receiver failing.

Anyway, you should open up a support ticket. It shouldn't be a big deal for Line 6 to send you a replacement power supply.