Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Anyone know how to get a tone like this?

boydwgrossii

You got it, two players... two tones at one time. One a little cleaner, the other a little dirtier.

I've always liked their guitar tones, they remind me of a Canadian band from the 80's named Teenage Head.  The tones are also a little reminiscent of Joan Jett's albums... with Joan playing a Musicman Amp in one speaker and Ricky Byrd blasting a Marshall in the other.  

I think Jimmy Eat World was a combo of VOX and ORANGE... but I'm not positive. It is definitely British voiced, so I would start there. 

1. For the dirt tone I would dial in a Jumped Plexi... moderate gain, EQ to taste.
  2. To get the slightly cleaner underlay, dial in a VOX AC 30 a little cleaner then blend the two tones together. 

After the two amps.... add a Studio Compressor. That will glue the two guitar tones together and sound more refined. That step is completely optional, but it is definitely something they did in the studio to get that sound you hear. 

Good luck!

This is a "Rig Rundown" of these guys on you tube. They are running Fractal Axe FX these days... so the sound you are after is certainly possible within Modelers and Multi FX

So, amps, studio compressor?  This sounds fun.

I noticed that a lot of the presets I grabbed were setup strange.  They put a lot of fx before the amps and so I was going to dabble with it and set some patches up as a real world setting (dist pedal with gain down and output all the way up before the amp).

They certainly run some effects as well... delay, trem, likely some overdrives for boosts, etc.... but that is all icing. 

It all starts with the fundamental tone which is just grinding guitars at their best. A couple nice amp choices and a studio comp should get you there... maybe with a touch of verb. 

23 minutes ago, pianoguyy said:

How to get a specific tone  - 

Step one - twist knobs

step two - repeat step one until it sounds like the tone you want

That made me chuckle.

I use and Ibanez Iron Label equipped with Fishman Fluence Moderns.